New forum suggestions just one!

This site is not affiliated with Behringer or Music Tribe. This Suggestion Forum is intended for suggestions related to this site, only.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Re: New forum suggestions just one!

Post by MJKlein »

pvannatto wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:32 am
mjklein wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 am We may want to make a separate forum for Dante Audio Networking. Since the cards are plug and play with no configuration in the respective consoles, most if not all of the support threads will relate to both platforms.
Suggestions of how to set it up or where to put it? I added it to the General Forums section for now.
That is a great question.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

pvannatto wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:32 am
mjklein wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 am We may want to make a separate forum for Dante Audio Networking. Since the cards are plug and play with no configuration in the respective consoles, most if not all of the support threads will relate to both platforms.
Suggestions of how to set it up or where to put it? I added it to the General Forums section for now.
What remains to be seen is how the discussions about Dante develop. Once the card is installed in any type console, there are the usual routing issues that come up (which are common to all interfaces), and then it's all about the network configuration. The Dante forum may want to be a sub-forum of Digital Consoles, but type agnostic.

As for the other cards, there probably are enough differences between console types that it matters.
English/中文
Wangdangdoodle

Post by Wangdangdoodle »

Thank you for starting this forum! It will be very useful to all!
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Wangdangdoodle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:37 pm Thank you for starting this forum! It will be very useful to all!
The users make the site what it is! Thank you for joining us.
English/中文
Dan Mortensen

Post by Dan Mortensen »

Hi All,

First, thanks for starting this forum! I have really missed finding all discussion about the consoles in one place, and being able to have threaded discussions will be much more valuable than having to either search through a mega thread or an entire forum website. I look forward to learning from this group.

Second, I sincerely feel that the value of individual contributions is made less by having anonymous participants. Having forum users use their real names offers less encouragement to flamers and drive-bys, although other forums have shown that such activity will never be eliminated.

So my suggestion is to have registrants use their real names for membership in this forum.

I didn't see this subject addressed elsewhere here.

Thanks!
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hi Dan,

Glad to see that you found the new forum. It has been like "wandering in the desert for 40 years", after the official MT forum switched to the "new fangled" interface (I'm still a moderator there - by title only). So refreshing that MJ made the effort in starting this new forum.

I agree with you that it is so much nicer to discuss topics on a first name basis - makes it a real community that way.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Dan Mortensen

Post by Dan Mortensen »

Thanks, Paul.

Yes, finding this forum is a huge relief, plus knowing that you, Robert, and Patrick are involved is a huge expectation that this will be a very beneficial place for people who love the consoles we love.

Also, agreed that saying "Thanks, pv528cv" is not as humanly enjoyable as saying "Thanks, Paul".

One thing, though, to counter my assertion in the other thread: As the Audio Engineering Society pushes Diversity and Inclusion, and after watching a PBS documentary the other night about female professors at Boston University and M.I.T. discovering that they were paid less and had less logistical support for their work than male professors, one of them mentioned a study done where they'd submitted the exact same resumes or something similar to different schools for student admissions or something similar, with the only differences being the name at the top, and female names caused those things to be evaluated as being lacking compared to those submitted under male names.

Weird, huh, but it seemed pretty bulletproof in their explanation. So maybe the handles are helpful in some way?

Not sure how the feeling of collegiality is reinforced by handles, though. It's a conundrum.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Yeah, that can be an issue in some circles. But I can assure you that we will be as inclusive as we can. In fact they can have the same pay as we get - we'll even pay them double (2 x 0 = 0). ;)

Speaking of which, on the old forum a few years ago, a blind member was trying to use his XR18 but was having problems with all of the apps in that his screen reader was unable to read the mostly graphic elements of the app. We worked together to develop a chat-like interface (using the Live Toolbox engine) called MX Terminal. I then expanded it to work with the X-Air/M-Air as well as the X32/M32 and Wing platforms. Now we have a blind community that is successfully using these digital consoles.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Dan Mortensen

Post by Dan Mortensen »

pvannatto wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:06 pm Now we have a blind community that is successfully using these digital consoles.
How cool is that? Nice job.

Also, I'm sure everyone will appreciate your generous offer to give them double your pay for participating...

Return to “Suggestions”