kmitchell

Tell us about yourself.
kmitchell

kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Hi All,

My name is Ken Mitchell and I live in San Jose, California. I've been involved in audio for local theatre and sporting events for several years. Since that pretty much went away in March 2020, I've been focusing on audio for remote conferencing as well as network audio/video streaming. I have a lot of networking experience and I currently work for a company who's products monitor data center infrastructure availability and performance. I'm now adding Dante certification to my networking toolbox.

In my spare time... Wait, I have no spare time these days.

Ken
pvannatto

Re: kmitchell

Post by pvannatto »

Back in the days when Ken had some spare time, he was gracious enough to take time to port some of Patrick's X32 tools to the X-Air platform. These can be found here. Thanks for joining us Ken and welcome aboard.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Thanks for joining us, Ken.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

kmitchell wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:33 pm Hi All,

My name is Ken Mitchell and I live in San Jose, California. [...].

Ken
Hi Ken, good to see you here. I used to live in SJ too between 1988 and 1994; These were my days at Sun Microsystems!
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

pmaillot wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:26 am
kmitchell wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:33 pm Hi All,

My name is Ken Mitchell and I live in San Jose, California. [...].

Ken
Hi Ken, good to see you here. I used to live in SJ too between 1988 and 1994; These were my days at Sun Microsystems!
Thanks Patrick. I remember you telling me that when I first contacted you about porting your X32 tools to the XAir. BTW, I'm evaluating what it would take to create a new Python3 package for the XR18. I'm pretty much writing only in Python3 these days since my work in network testing requires it. Crafting network packets using Python3 bytes objects is actually very easy. Parsing and converting to/from strings is also very easy.

For the most part, I'm looking for platform compatibility between Mac, Windows, Linux, and Raspberry Pi without having to re-compile several binaries every time I make a change. The x86, M1, Arm64 piece is also becoming a factor.

I'm going to start a new thread over in the 3rd party forum.

Ken
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

kmitchell wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:44 pm BTW, I'm evaluating what it would take to create a new Python3 package for the XR18. I'm pretty much writing only in Python3 these days since my work in network testing requires it. Crafting network packets using Python3 bytes objects is actually very easy. Parsing and converting to/from strings is also very easy.

For the most part, I'm looking for platform compatibility between Mac, Windows, Linux, and Raspberry Pi without having to re-compile several binaries every time I make a change. The x86, M1, Arm64 piece is also becoming a factor.
That's great to hear Ken. I'm also starting to program in Python3. It started with a project I'm developing for someone who owns a studio in Germany. It is a project that plays 9 short audio clips using a Raspberry Pi Zero, an audio HAT, a multi-plex HAT, 10 buttons and LED's. I've previously developed some solutions for him using arduinos and code based on Colin's arduino code.

One of the drawbacks of Python3 is that it does not have a Case (or Switch) command. Live Toolbox is full of Case commands. But I just read that they plan on adding the switch command to Python 3.9. The other drawback is that Python is an interpretive language rather than a compiled language. So speed is an issue.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

match/case didn't make the cut for 3.9 but it is slated for 3.10. It's described in https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0622/ with a tutorial in https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0636/.

I agree that speed could be an issue. I'm hoping a dedicated Pi4B or Pi400 will be up to the task. I'm pretty sure the i9 in my MacBook Pro can handle the load but that's not a low-budget item.

Ken

Return to “Introductions”