I think the network card on one of our Midas M32 consoles has died.

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

I hooked it up to the Midas M32 with an Ethernet cable directly between the computer and the M32. It was 14 months ago that we were shut down and removed this equipment from this same room. It has been in the cases all of that time in a heated shop. But it seems like the network card on the M32 has died. I tried everything I could think of. I spent about 2hrs on it and then gave up for the day I am going to do some more tests in the next day or 2. Luckily for this show we only planned on using one for the M32s so if I still can’t get this one working we will use the other one. I hope that one works. This school has an X32 compact and I am going to see if the show computer will work with that one just as a test. This show would be a real pain to try and do on an X32 compact.

I will be using Palladium as I have been doing for a while now. I tried both computers I had with me and I wasn’t even trying to get Palladium working I was just trying to get the network connection working and I could see that there wasn’t a connection.
KMaxwell

Re: I think the network card on one of our Midas M32 consoles has died.

Post by KMaxwell »

I know I can do MIDI over the USB can I also do OSC over USB? If I can then how do I do that?
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

KMaxwell wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:45 pm I know I can do MIDI over the USB can I also do OSC over USB? If I can then how do I do that?
nope, OSC is *only* over ethernet :(
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Since you have 2, I would try the other one. If it works under identical circumstances, that would pretty much seal it that there is a problem on the first one. All things would need to be identical. It is not without possibility some little setting is amiss in #1 though. Trying the other one might save you a lot of time and energy. My 2 cents.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

GaryH wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 pm Since you have 2, I would try the other one. If it works under identical circumstances, that would pretty much seal it that there is a problem on the first one. All things would need to be identical. It is not without possibility some little setting is amiss in #1 though. Trying the other one might save you a lot of time and energy. My 2 cents.
I agree and that is in the plan after checking other things. I am planning on cleaning the RJ45 jack and checking again that I have everything set right. I am also planning on using the Dumb Switch that I usually use when we do these shows because we usually use 2 M32 consoles for them. But I will first test the 2nd one before I swap it out because I am using almost every connector on the M32 and it is all plugged up and working so that is a lot of connections. And I hook that all up in a certain order so I have it all right. So to swap it out without first testing some of the other things will need some planning how to do it in the best way. If I could stack them and move one connector over at a time that would be good. and then just slid the first one out.

I hope to get to that a little bit later today or maybe tomorrow. i am trying to recover from my visit to the Eye Dr. they dilated my pupils and right now I am having a hard time even just seeing well enough to type this out.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

I went back to the school today and I was able to get the computer communicating with the Midas M32. I actually am not sure exactly what the problem was yesterday. I did clean the RJ45 jack on the M32 (I used CAIG DeoxIT on a cotton swab) and I used the same network switch that I have before. I had an Ethernet cable tester (hi quality one) and I tested all of the cables I was using yesterday and they all tested ok, but some of them didn’t have the best latch so maybe I had a cable seating problem.

When it looked like I still had a problem I got the schools X32 compact and tried to see if that would work. When I still had the same problem using the X32 compact instead of the M32 I realized that I needed to concentrate on the computer. And this time when I hooked up the M32 to the network switch and started Palladium it worked. So I would guess that it either was a cable that wasn’t seated right (although yesterday I checked that multiple times) or my cleaning of the RJ45 jack did the trick or the Network switch did the trick, or a combination of all of those things.

But the one take away from this was without a program running that is trying to talk to the console the network adapter setting screen isn’t going to show any receive activity at all. Live and learn.
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

KMaxwell wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:44 pm
GaryH wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 pm Since you have 2, I would try the other one. If it works under identical circumstances, that would pretty much seal it that there is a problem on the first one. All things would need to be identical. It is not without possibility some little setting is amiss in #1 though. Trying the other one might save you a lot of time and energy. My 2 cents.
I agree and that is in the plan after checking other things. I am planning on cleaning the RJ45 jack and checking again that I have everything set right. I am also planning on using the Dumb Switch that I usually use when we do these shows because we usually use 2 M32 consoles for them. But I will first test the 2nd one before I swap it out because I am using almost every connector on the M32 and it is all plugged up and working so that is a lot of connections. And I hook that all up in a certain order so I have it all right. So to swap it out without first testing some of the other things will need some planning how to do it in the best way. If I could stack them and move one connector over at a time that would be good. and then just slid the first one out.

I hope to get to that a little bit later today or maybe tomorrow. i am trying to recover from my visit to the Eye Dr. they dilated my pupils and right now I am having a hard time even just seeing well enough to type this out.
I think you have a good plan for beginning trouble shooting..... Are you using the same PC as you were last time it worked? You state that you connect directly from M32 to PC it today's modern world it should work, however sometime if older PC you may need a NETWORK Flip cable. Are you setting the IP address and allowing DHCP to set it. Same for PC and check that they are on the same network IP addresses. Im sure you have just adding some thoughts to start with. I would think you could test the network without having to jump through hoops hooking up everything.
Curt
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

curtbl wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:06 am

I think you have a good plan for beginning trouble shooting..... Are you using the same PC as you were last time it worked? You state that you connect directly from M32 to PC it today's modern world it should work, however sometime if older PC you may need a NETWORK Flip cable. Are you setting the IP address and allowing DHCP to set it. Same for PC and check that they are on the same network IP addresses. Im sure you have just adding some thoughts to start with. I would think you could test the network without having to jump through hoops hooking up everything.
Curt
Thank you for the suggestions. I submitted a new post with updated information but I haven’t hit 5 posts yet so there is a little bit of delay for them to be visible to others. And you may not have seen that post yet. This should be my 5th post, so I shouldn’t have to wait for a post to be approved again after this one.

But to address some of your questions. I use static IP addresses because that is what Palladium uses. I have a batch file that adds the consoles IP address and Mac address to the ARP. It is the same PC as last time and I have been playing with a WING hooked up to it. I have never had to use a crossover cable with this setup before.

I had tried using M32 edit and it also wouldn’t see the console. But it is all working now. I would guess that it either was a cable that wasn’t seated right (although the other day I checked that multiple times) or my cleaning of the RJ45 jack did the trick or the Network switch did the trick, or a combination of all of those things.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hey Kevin @KMaxwell , for some unknown reason the 6th post also has to be approved. But I'm home now and will watch for and posts that need approval. Fortunately there are 3 others that can also approve posts.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

KMaxwell wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 pm
curtbl wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:06 am

Curt
Thank you for the suggestions. I submitted a new post with updated information but I haven’t hit 5 posts yet so there is a little bit of delay for them to be visible to others. And you may not have seen that post yet. This should be my 5th post, so I shouldn’t have to wait for a post to be approved again after this one.

But to address some of your questions. I use static IP addresses because that is what Palladium uses. I have a batch file that adds the consoles IP address and Mac address to the ARP. It is the same PC as last time and I have been playing with a WING hooked up to it. I have never had to use a crossover cable with this setup before.

I had tried using M32 edit and it also wouldn’t see the console. But it is all working now. I would guess that it either was a cable that wasn’t seated right (although the other day I checked that multiple times) or my cleaning of the RJ45 jack did the trick or the Network switch did the trick, or a combination of all of those things.
I "love" the combination of all! to many times it is just that and worst you never really know!
As weird as this is I had one the other day where I couldn't find the reason network traffic was not moving and a simple power down the "dumb" network hub and when power was restored it came back
Life is fun!!
Curt

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”