Working with Fader Layers

The new Flow8 digital console
RexBeckett

Working with Fader Layers

Post by RexBeckett »

At first glance, it may seem that the decision to design the Flow 8 with six fader layers but non-motorized faders would make it difficult to use. In practice, I find it surprisingly easy - for example:

When you change layers, the Offset LEDs above each fader show you when they are not synchronized to the console settings. When you move one of the faders, the small LCD screen shows the dB value it should be set to and a moving line shows how far, and in which direction, you need to move the fader. This is a very handy feature which is rarely mentioned in product reviews.

When changing to an FX or Monitor layer to tweak a couple of channel sends, it is not necessary to synchronize all the channel faders. You only need to sync the ones that you want to change. This also reduces the number of offsets when returning to the Main layer.

Once the principle settings are in place, I tend to leave the physical surface on the Main layer. This allows easy adjustment of channel and Main faders. I park an old Android 'phone, running the Flow Mix app, on top of the console to allow tweaks to EQ, Compressors or FX parameters. In many applications, once it is sounding good, the 'phone is not essential.
pvannatto

Re: Working with Fader Layers

Post by pvannatto »

Thanks Rex. Glad to have you aboard.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

Thanks Paul. You're building quite a team already. A few names that I haven't seen since the old forum was destroyed.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Good to see you Rex. Thanks for the posts on the Flow8. I have a few online instructors who are looking for more than a USB headset but an XR18 is overkill and too expensive as a step up. I've been using a UMC404HD for a couple of cases, but that has it's own challenges.

Ken
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

Hi Ken, it's good to hear from you. I replaced a QX1002USB + UMC404HD rig that I was using for streaming with a Flow 8. It is superior in almost every respect. There is a lot of flexibility in the way that monitoring can be handled and the instant-recall Snapshots are very useful. The Flow 8 is nowhere close to the functionality of an XR18 but it is vastly more capable than typical small analogue mixers.

Return to “Flow8”