Footswitch De-bouncing

The new Flow8 digital console
RexBeckett

Footswitch De-bouncing

Post by RexBeckett »

When using a footswitch with the Flow 8 to mute the FX, I found that it was sensitive to switch bounce. This meant that it was necessary to look at the console each time to confirm that it was in the desired state. I have reported this through the Care system so it may be fixed in a future firmware release. Meanwhile, I added a passive debounce circuit to the footswitch which has cured the problem completely.

I opened-up the metal footswitch enclosure and mounted the additional components around the FX switch. I did not find it necessary to de-bounce the tap-tempo switch. The schematic is below.

flow-8-footswitch.png
flow-8-footswitch.png (11.05 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
pmaillot

Re: Footswitch De-bouncing

Post by pmaillot »

That's cool, and can be useful for other implementations too. Now you'd think the B guys would already have implemented a software debounce, no?
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

Yes you would think that all control inputs would be debounced in the software. Perhaps the footswitch input just slipped through the net.

The principle of the passive debounce could work with other units but the component values would probably need to change. The open-circuit voltage on the Flow 8 footswitch input is only 0.63V and it switches with a load resistance of <= 1.1K. Hence the fairly low value resistors and large capacitor.
Last edited by RexBeckett on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roblof

Post by Roblof »

Message sent to the devs.
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

Roblof wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:38 am Message sent to the devs.
Thanks Robert. I did report the issue on Care ticket CAS-402239-R3B3Q8.

Return to “Flow8”