How to flash Dante firmware files for the Wing using Dante Controller

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
GaryH

Re: How to flash Dante firmware files for the Wing using Dante Controller

Post by GaryH »

@pmaillot Nice!
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@pmaillot @curtbl

I updated everything in my system!...it has been a minute...every Dante device except my Avio USB C needed an update, wow! None the less, since I had already flashed my Kevic 64 to the Behringer internal firmware file (Wing64) a long while back, it identifies itself as the Behringer version in Dante Controller-and thus it was recognized as needing the update, which I did and it all went smoothly.

@MJKlein I included you here because there is also a new X-Dante card firmware update as well as the Wing. (4.2.3.13) and I know you have one! Reboot of the card within DC is required (same for the Wing cards)
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

GaryH wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am @MJKlein I included you here because there is also a new X-Dante card firmware update as well as the Wing. (4.2.3.13) and I know you have one! Reboot of the card within DC is required (same for the Wing cards)
Thank you, Gary. I appreciate that. I'll be updating this afternoon.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

GaryH wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am I had already flashed my Kevic 64 to the Behringer internal firmware file (Wing64) a long while back, it identifies itself as the Behringer version in Dante Controller-and thus it was recognized as needing the update, which I did and it all went smoothly.
This is encouraging news.
English/中文
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Update was painless.
English/中文
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Updated Oct 3 2021-includes a few minor updates.

I had recently helped a few people in other forums flash their Wing Dante cards. In that process I realized there were more steps and several clarifications needed than what I had originally thought to be necessary. So I retraced the steps and came up with this. I believe it to now be 100% accurate. The user however bears FULL responsibility for any problems that may occur. So be forewarned. There are risks involved and the cards are all expensive and COULD be damaged in the process. It is unlikely but possible. This was meant for flashing a Wing related 64 ch Dante Card but really applies to any Dante Card in your system. This assumes you have a functioning Dante network and all Dante devices used in the system are recognized by Dante Controller.

It's important to note there are 2 import related firmware sections in Dante Updater. One is in the LIBRARY section and one in the HOME section. This is VERY confusing and very easily missed! Just a one word difference exists between the 2 sections which otherwise appear quite similar. The Library section says “Imported Files” and the Home section says “Imported Firmware Files” Both of these sections have different functions in the process.

Flashing the firmware for Wing related Dante cards using the latest Dante Controller program:

EDIT: Both the internal Dante 64x64 and external Wing-Dante64 firmware files can now also be directly downloaded from the Wing product/software page which simplifies the process to a degree.

1) In the latest Dante Controller program open the Dante Updater. It's the little icon that resembles a water drop with a dot inside it. You need to enable the advanced settings once you are in the Dante Updater to allow importing firmware files and allow flashing with different manufacturers firmware files. You can find this in the "Advanced Settings" in the top right drop down menu of Dante Updater.

2) Go to the LIBRARY section and type in “Behringer” (or whatever manufacturer) and you will see a list of appropriate firmware files to download. Three files are currently available from Behringer. One for X-Dante and two for the Wing, one internal and one external. Download the firmware files desired.

2) After downloading them you need to import them into the Dante Updater program itself. You would think the program would be smart enough to know exactly where IT downloaded them since it does so without asking, but it does NOT know. You need to find exactly where the files are located on your computer. Believe me, they are kept very well hidden!

On my Windows 10 machine they end up here:

\users\AppData\Local\DanteUpdater\User Data\Default\dnt_cache"

Make sure you allow viewing of hidden files in a Windows computer or you will never find the Appdata folder! It is a system file normally hidden.

On a Mac they are here:

/users/{username}/Library/Application Support/Dante Updater/Default/dnt_cache

It's much easier on a Mac to do a search for “dnt_cache” files.

3) Once you find where your files are located on your computer, go to the LIIBRARY section “Imported Files" area. Here you can import (upload) the firmware files that you downloaded. You will see a list of all the files that you have imported in this section.

4] Now go to the HOME tab and open the “Imported Firmware Files” section there. It will list all the Dante devices found in your Dante network. There is a little arrow next to each device that points to the right. Click on that arrow and it will then point downward and you will see a list of firmware files compatible with the specific card selected. Choose your file and follow the process. It will install the selected firmware file to the device! Once you have flashed your device there will also be a "roll back" option to allow you to essentially undo the whole process.

Related photos of the various key screens can be seen back in the original post.

mrdrennan

Post by mrdrennan »

@GaryH ,

I discovered the dnt_cache import workflow prior to stumbling on this post, but I’m happy to learn I was on the right track.

I had an X-Dante card that I flashed for the wing and installed internally, so it is running the most current Wing internal firmware. I obtained an M32C and I decided to put the x-dante card in that and get a bonafide Wing internal Brooklyn card for the Wing.

I reinstalled the card into the M32 and tried to roll the firmware back to the x-Dante. Using exactly the method above, I was able to reach the screen to update the card to the latest X-Dante firmware and reboot the card. However, after doing so, Dante updater still reports that it is running the Wing firmware. Any thoughts?
mrdrennan

Post by mrdrennan »

Edit:

After a few tries, it worked. I rebooted before installing the update, and after, and it seemed to take.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@mrdrennan so glad it worked for you!
Mixing Lane

Post by Mixing Lane »

Thanks for tracing the steps and sharing them.
Normally I never connect my network that I use for Wing remote control with internet.
For this process it was a necessity.
I couldn't motivate the software using the pre-downloaded file. This part actually consumed the most time. When I connected Internet it was quickly done with.

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”