Behringer S16 and Klark Teknik 9630

streamfuchs

Behringer S16 and Klark Teknik 9630

Post by streamfuchs »

Hi everyone,

I own a X32 Company and two S16 stageboxes.
For some reason I want to do recordings from time to time directly with my computer without my X32.
So I am thinking about using my S16 together with a DN9650 with Dante Option.
Does anyone know if it will be posibble to remote phantom power and headamp operation from my computer?
That means via network cable (Dante) to the DN9650 and from there to the S16 (AES50)
Thanks for any help.
pvannatto

Re: Behringer S16 and Klark Teknik 9650

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @streamfuchs , I would suggest using a DN9630 instead of the DN9650. Regarding your question about remote control of the preamps (gain and phantom), I know that with the DN9630, the gain and phantom has to be adjusted on the S16 and I would assume it is the same with the DN9650.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

Hi Paul,

thanks for your quick response.
That seems to be a very good idea with the DN 9630.
I discussed that topic with Patrick as well.
But to be honest:
It is no good perfomance of Klark Teknik who invented AES50 as far as I know not to provide a remote solution because for me the idea behind an AES50 to USB bridge is to use an AES50 stagebox standalone.
So the remote possibility would be a logic feature.

But thanks for your good idea.

Best regards
Thomas
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hi Thomas @streamfuchs ,

Technically speaking, Klark Teknik did not invent AES50 - they bought it from Sony. That said, AES50 can provide remote control of the preamps, since the X32/M32 and Wing consoles have that capability. But the DN9630 I know does not have this feature and presumably it is the same with the DN9650.

Preamp remote control has been requested. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic and the global chip shortage, development across the board with all MT products is 1 to 2 years behind schedule. If you watch the official forum, everyone is demanding their wish lists of features to be developed ASAP over the hundreds of MT products. Currently most of the developers are swamped with redesigning hardware with different chip sets (due to the global chip shortage) as well as trying to find time to please us end users.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

pvannatto wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:39 pm [...] But the DN9630 I know does not have this feature and presumably it is the same with the DN9650.[...]
Do you know by any chance if the DN9630 sends anything via the Ethernet port next to the USB connector? [Of course] there's absolutely no documentation about this in the quick guide nor the brochure.
-P
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

pvannatto wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:39 pm Hi Thomas @streamfuchs ,

Technically speaking, Klark Teknik did not invent AES50 - they bought it from Sony. That said, AES50 can provide remote control of the preamps, since the X32/M32 and Wing consoles have that capability. But the DN9630 I know does not have this feature and presumably it is the same with the DN9650.

Preamp remote control has been requested. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic and the global chip shortage, development across the board with all MT products is 1 to 2 years behind schedule. If you watch the official forum, everyone is demanding their wish lists of features to be developed ASAP over the hundreds of MT products. Currently most of the developers are swamped with redesigning hardware with different chip sets (due to the global chip shortage) as well as trying to find time to please us end users.
The question is, whether a future firmware update can provide these features or whether it will need a redesigned hardware.

Regards Thomas
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

pmaillot wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:59 am Do you know by any chance if the DN9630 sends anything via the Ethernet port next to the USB connector? [Of course] there's absolutely no documentation about this in the quick guide nor the brochure.
-P
That question was asked on the official forum and one of the tribers responded saying that the ethernet port is actually disabled. Evidently it had the same demise as the USB port on the back of the original X32 console. A great idea that got abandoned.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

streamfuchs wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:36 am The question is, whether a future firmware update can provide these features or whether it will need a redesigned hardware.
Very good question. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
thunfisch

Post by thunfisch »

Hey streamfuchs, the S16/S32/DL16/DL32 preamps can be controlled via MIDI IIRC. Seems hacky, but if you can live with e.g. rtpMIDI running on a Raspberry Pi inside the rack it could work. Maybe even something like https://midimonster.net/ to translate OSC from a tablet with touchOSC. But a full integration into other consoles will probably not be possible, I would not know of any standardized protocol for remote headamp control.
wing+dante, xr18, midas dl16+dl32
systems engineer by day, live sound, streaming & video by night
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

thunfisch wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:16 pm Hey streamfuchs, the S16/S32/DL16/DL32 preamps can be controlled via MIDI IIRC. Seems hacky, but if you can live with e.g. rtpMIDI running on a Raspberry Pi inside the rack it could work. Maybe even something like https://midimonster.net/ to translate OSC from a tablet with touchOSC. But a full integration into other consoles will probably not be possible, I would not know of any standardized protocol for remote headamp control.
Hey thunfisch,
thanks for the advice. But I am not very familiar (let's say not at all) with that kind of programming.
So when I am going to buy a DN9630 (I am really thinking about that) I think I have to live with it.
Next month e.g. I have got a recording job with solo piano. That means 4 mics doing mixing and mastering in the post.
So much easier to take a DN9630 with me than my heavy mixer.
Would have been nice at least to have control for the HA.

Return to “Stageboxes”