Recording on a WING?

Behringer WING Consoles
KMaxwell

Recording on a WING?

Post by KMaxwell »

Recording on a WING? The leader of a band (that we have worked with many times before) has asked me to record an upcoming show. They are basically looking for a 2 track recording, just a board tape. I already told him that a board tape isn’t always a good representation of how it sounded thru the system. And I will be concentrating on the live show and not the recording. He and I both have No interest in doing a multi-track recording and mixing it down later.

The WING is loaded on the truck and not easy for me to retrieve it or worth the time due to how in a couple of days we have another show scheduled. After Sundays show I may have a week between shows and may bring it home to play with it to test how this works.

I haven’t ever recorded a show using the USB port (on the top) of the M32 because of the stories I kept hearing about the X32 and M32 freezing up due to a problem with a thumb drive. I always thought that the error handing in that system on these mixers was not robust enough to not cause problems.

So this leads to the 2 questions I have. Has anyone reported any problems on recording to a USB thumb drive on the WING? The other is can the SD recorder be set to record a 2 track (stereo) WAV recording that I can hand to someone and they can then play that on their computer? Or is it actually the same format of a multi-track recording (all in one file) on the SD card recorder?
pmaillot

Re: Recording on a WING?

Post by pmaillot »

Hello Kevin,
I haven't heard (but I'm no reference) of USB recording freeze or ussues on Wing (besides the standard use of a fragmented or too slow device).
I'd launch both actually: USB recording on 2 tracks and simultaneously recording on SD of individual tracks/channels.
Using the USB recording is a no Brainerd. The SD recording can be handled by most DAWs or otherwise after splitting tracks into separate stems using an external utility. The SD or USB (if limited to 32 or 2 tracks) are compatible with X32 or M32.
-Patrick
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hi Kevin @KMaxwell , way back in the early days of the Wing, there were some issues with the USB player/recorder and it was determined a timing issue, which the developers corrected/fine tuned. This afternoon, I recorded a young lady and her guitar of a song she wrote for her upcoming wedding in September. I used both the W-Live and USB recorders (as well as Reaper on my laptop, just in case). Surprisingly, she did it in one take. I then played the multi-track recording from SD card through the Wing (using the Alt inputs) and recorded the results to the USB recorder. Everything worked perfectly.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

At yesterday’s show when the band took a break they asked me to play some music which we don’t usually do for these shows. So I played some music from my MP3 player. I then decide to test thing out and try and record that on a USB thumb drive that had a bunch of other stuff on if but still had a lot of room.

I made a new folder and it was displaying on the WING but when I got home and checked the files were in the root directory not the folder. I don’t know what I did wrong.

I setup a user key to be the new file button. I figured this might be a good idea (for when I record the show for the guy who requested it) instead of just giving him one big file. That worked just fine. The level was really low on the recording but it was background music I was playing and I didn’t push the matrix for this test and I was able to normalize the file and it sounded fine. So the test was basically successful.

I was using a spare matrix output to feed this recording. My technique of mixing shows involves using Mix Bus(es) as variable subgroups and routing those to the Matrix outputs. So I configured the Matrix 7 to feed to the USB recorder. I think I have the WING set to 48k and I just looked at one of the wav files and it did record at 48k. So I have to talk to the guy and ask him what he is expecting or able to deal with after the show. If I have to convert it to MP3s for him then I won’t change the sample rate of the console. And he will owe me a till bit more favors. He is a sign maker and also does vehicle signage and decals and I need a couple of decals replaced on 2 cars so he said he will do that for me. I already told him that this will be a board tape not customized to sound different then what comes out of the speakers so if a guitar or bass amp is so loud that barely anything is in the house then that will be missing or down in level in the recording. Since I am using a matrix I can taper the Mix Bus(es) a little bit but we are being paid by the promoter for the live sound not for a recording. So the live sound will be where my attention is.

I have Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 9.0 so I am able to manipulate stereo recordings. I don’t have a multi-track program and I don’t want to play mix down engineer so I will not be multi tracking it. But to be honest this isn’t the kind of group I really want to listen to over an over if you get what I am saying.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

KMaxwell wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:39 pm But to be honest this isn’t the kind of group I really want to listen to over an over if you get what I am saying.
This statement really struck my funny bone!
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
thunfisch

Post by thunfisch »

+1 on doing both USB and SD if you have the Option. I always try to do that whenever I have the chance: USB 2-Track of PGM/Mix, and USB/Dante/SD/whatever a full multichannel + busses. That way, you have a backup if the USB Stick craps out (which they always do at the worst of times!). Storage is cheap - I keep all my multitracks. I've had bands ask me after years if I still had the multitrack by chance. I just pull a USB HDD out of a cabinet (I always archive to two drives) and copy off the multitrack in those cases.
wing+dante, xr18, midas dl16+dl32
systems engineer by day, live sound, streaming & video by night
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

"I made a new folder and it was displaying on the WING but when I got home and checked the files were in the root directory not the folder" -- I had this issue on the X32 all the time, and never found a solution to it. I haven't recorded anything on the wing yet, but I would be disappointed if this issue has also been overlooked on the wing

Dave
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Audio recording, using WING -
If you're not on facebook you probably missed this: I developed a "portastudio"-like recorder for WING, bouncing recorded ttracks from one sd to the other while recording new tracks. It's really a one-click recorder for creating small/personal recordings as we used to do on a portastudio. All routing is set automatically. One click!
Check out https://sites.google.com/site/patrickma ... jo7g6o16jr
TBAUDIODIRECTOR

Post by TBAUDIODIRECTOR »

could i record from my laptop using logic and use that recording to do virtual sound check??
angr77

Post by angr77 »

TBAUDIODIRECTOR wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:55 am could i record from my laptop using logic and use that recording to do virtual sound check??
Yes, you can! The wing can send/receive up to 48 channels over usb. So it is just to connect the Mac/Logic over USB…and start to record and afterwards play back the channels to the wing. (Alternate the inputs to USB in this case on the Wing)

Best regards

Anders / Z-LiveRec.com
Angr77, Flow 8, XR18, Mackie DL32S, X32 Core, X32 Rack and WING + S32, 2x S16 + X-Touch and A&H CQ20B
Developer of www.z-liverec.com

Return to “WING Consoles”