Firmware 1.12.5 Bricked Console? Solved

Behringer WING Consoles
dustinkboyle

Firmware 1.12.5 Bricked Console? Solved

Post by dustinkboyle »

I just updated my Wing using a USB stick, followed the instructions. Seemed to take, but now my Wing does not seem to power on? Connecting to a Mac Mini does bring up the two Data and OS volumes however. Is there any way to bring this back or does it need to be sent in? I have a show with it on Oct 2nd that I need it for. Hoping I can get some quick answers here before calling support tomorrow.

Thank you in advance for any advice, tips or tricks.
-Dustin

Edit: Seems I had to put the 1.11 Firmware on to the OS partition, it was there but was missing. Adding it to the OS partition immediately restored the console. Firmware update must have gone awry and the board perhaps no actual OS. Crisis averted.

Edit 2: Deleted the 1.12.5 from the OS partition, retried the USB update and this time it took. Board is now up to date. Leaving this post up in case any one else experiences this issue.
Last edited by dustinkboyle on Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
pvannatto

Re: Firmware 1.12.5 Bricked Console?

Post by pvannatto »

@dustinkboyle , make sure that you have only one OS version in the OS Volume. If you have more than one, it will not boot.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
dustinkboyle

Post by dustinkboyle »

pvannatto wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:21 am @dustinkboyle , make sure that you have only one OS version in the OS Volume. If you have more than one, it will not boot.
It did only have the 1.12.5 when it wouldn't boot. Adding the 1.11 to the OS folder immediately brought it back. At that point it did have two versions as both were visible on the partition. I deleted the 1.12.5 version then tried again. It worked and now it shows only 1.12.5. Seems fine now. Must have had a bad transfer on the first run. Glad to see it was quickly recoverable. Thank you for your advice.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

dustinkboyle wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:38 am Must have had a bad transfer on the first run.
That seems to be the case. Glad to hear that you figured out how to recover it.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
KMaxwell

Re: Firmware 1.12.5 Bricked Console? Solved

Post by KMaxwell »

I had the same problem and I found the directions in the OSG (quick start guide) and was able to bring it back to live. With it hooked up to the computers USB, I just didn’t realize that I would only see the wing drive appear on my computer and nothing on the Wing itself till I corrected my mistake.

It is working again. Thank you Music Tribe/Behringer for making a way to fix the mistake that I made.

From QSG

Note, although WING will always boot using the most recent firmware in that drive, it is recommended to delete older firmware files or move them to a subfolder. If the console does not boot up normally, you can still update the firmware using this procedure:

• With console powered off, connect a USB cable to the rear panel port and to your computer.

• Press and hold the Select button next to the Main Display, then power the console on.

• An OS and DATA drive will appear on your computer, similar to connecting a flash drive or external hard drive. Double click a drive to open.

• Drag the new firmware file into the OS drive.

• Note, WING will always boot using the most recent firmware in that drive.

• After the file has transferred, eject the virtual drive. The console should reboot automatically with the new firmware installed. If it doesn’t, power cycle the console manually.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

You can just use a USB stick up on top these days...pretty easy...

Firmware Update from USB Stick:
1. Download any future FW updates from behringer.com and store it on a FAT formatted USB stick.
2. Connect the USB stick to the top panel USB port of WING.
3. Open the SETUP/GENERAL page and tap on the UPDATE icon on the left of the screen.
4. A file browser will appear on the screen, and you can navigate to where the fw update is located.
5. Select the correct FW update file and tap on UPDATE.
6. After installing the update is completed, you will be prompted to reboot the console.
7. The console can be rebooted by power cycling, or by selecting SETUP/SHUTDOWN and holding the
SETUP button while pressing the HOME button.
8. Verify the update was successful by comparing the firmware version on the left of the SETUP/
GENERAL screen.
dustinkboyle

Post by dustinkboyle »

GaryH wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:45 pm You can just use a USB stick up on top these days...pretty easy...

That is how I performed the update on both attempts. First attempt failed, had to use a computer to access the OS partition to restore it.

It is pretty easy... until the firmware decides not to load/install correctly from a USB drive... then its a little different.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Sorry I did not realize that is what you did originally, however I updated my wing using a usb stick and had no issues whatsoever. So the method isn’t the problem. Don’t know it it was said earlier but the usb stick can also make a difference, I’ve had some that would just not work updating firmware with my M32. Had to use a different maker to do so. At this point it might be worth trying another, no harm in trying.

Return to “WING Consoles”