usb output when you replace wing sd card with dante ?

Behringer WING Consoles
GaryH

Re: usb output when you replace wing sd card with dante ?

Post by GaryH »

The bottom line is you will be able to use a tablet for remote operation without losing any Dante options. How that ends up being achieved in the future is the only real question IMO. You can use it right now with the unofficial version and you will be able with the official version when it comes out. My hope is they don't also lock out the unofficial card use in some way once the official software is available. I suspect they could do it but I'm not sure they really care enough for the extra effort it might require. I guess we wait and see.
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

Thanks Curt what I meant was to connect the wing to a network,to use a tablet wireless, the wing has to be connected to your router.thru Ethernet which leaves you with one Ethernet connector left. I guess that second port would be your primary Dante and the First Ethernet port would share between second Ethernet port and redundant Dante and you would hook the redundant line from the other end of Dante to one of the switch ports of your router, I guess.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Pancho
I think you want the internal card set as switched (using Dante Controller) in that case. With it set that way, one port is for the dante network (left port from behind) and the other (right from behind) you would connect to your wireless router. From there your tablet would connect to the router. I think it may not matter which side actually. Wing will have 2 ip's. One for Dante network and the other for the router. I plan on doing just that later today as it is the last thing I need to test in my own setup. One thing or another has kept me from it, so it's time. If ass backwards I will let you know...if Curt doesn't chime in here to confirm or correct.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

If you want to connect to the Secondary port for control and not audio then it has to be configured as SWITCHED.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

GaryH wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:07 pm @Pancho
I think you want the internal card set as switched (using Dante Controller) in that case. With it set that way, one port is for the dante network (left port from behind) and the other (right from behind) you would connect to your wireless router. From there your tablet would connect to the router. I think it may not matter which side actually. Wing will have 2 ip's. One for Dante network and the other for the router. I plan on doing just that later today as it is the last thing I need to test in my own setup. One thing or another has kept me from it, so it's time. If ass backwards I will let you know...if Curt doesn't chime in here to confirm or correct.
Gary, you are mostly correct, actually in "switched mode" both Wing network ports are just that network ports on a single network. Meaning that Dante is a protocol that rides on the single network.
DANTE is available to the internal slot and also on both ports of the Wing when a Dante Device is active on the network.

Basically I'm trying to say is it is a standard IP Ethernet Network and Dante exists when a Dante Device is active on the network. So if my wing is powered off and I have Dante Virtual Sound card running on two different PC's I have a Dante network. Dante Controller will show two DVS PC's with all Inputs and outputs, the minute I turn on the Wing, using either an internal or external Dante Card, it will now also show in Dante Controller.

So look at the Wing as a Small Network Switch with 2 internal ports and 2 external ports. 2 internal ports are the Wing control port and the internal slot that from the factory that has nothing installed. As soon as we install a card in that internal port that device either Dante or Waves or ? that device will get a network IP address from your network DHCP server. Usually the router!
2 External ports are just network switch ports does not matter which port you use. much like your router or external switch / Hub.

Keep in mind 2 things.. First you need a router or a external device that will provide network "DHCP" addresses to all the devices on your network.
Usually the network "router" serving DHCP addresses default to something like 192.168.1.xxx or something like that. The Wing and Dante cards require "something" to assign them IP Addresses.
Second you, as MJ Pointed out can hook your Wireless access point to the wing or router or anyplace along the line and as MJ pointed out if your using the tablet for control functions only!
DANTE AUDIO will not function on wireless so DVS will not work, Dante Controller will function correctly on wireless.

There is a another complete issue when using your tablet wired or wireless for control, DANTE not involved, a network with DHCP server only to assign IP addresses may "MAY" issue "assign" a different IP Address to the WING each time it is power on which "could" confuse your controller on the tablet and require you to reassign the Wing control IP address. Most controllers are smart enough to find the Wing but if they can't you have to reassign the Wings IP address into the controller.
So to avoid that you could assign a STATIC IP address to the Wing for control, does not affect the Dante card operation.
Wow, so much for a simple comment.
Questions, thoughts otherwise have fun!
Curt
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

MJKlein wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:11 pm If you want to connect to the Secondary port for control and not audio then it has to be configured as SWITCHED.
Absolutely and configuring is done through Dante Controller
Curt
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@curtbl @MJKlein @Pancho OK so I have my system set up as follows. I'm connected to my Dante network switch (Cisco 3750) with a lan cable from my Wing (wing dante internal), one from my Core (currently with my X-Dante card in it) one from a ubiquti router (used for nothing at the moment but it's normally how I connect to wireless without using any internet), and one lan cable from this pc for Dante Controller and DVS. My Wing is a few rooms away and its 2nd control port has a lan cable connected to my Xfinity home router. I was just plain too lazy to run a second long cable from it back to here...unless it didn't work for any reason. Both X-Dante and Wing Internal are set as "switched" (network config tab) I used an older iPad with Copilot installed (latest version) and pulled up Copilot. Wing was seen right away and connected without issue! My Dante network working 100% as well. I will say Dante Controller kind of went through some contortions the first time. I think my switch was getting things in order reflecting the addition of the Xfinity router and it eventually all straightened out in maybe a minute give or take. BTW I also used DHCP for the Wing, I did try static later but my iPad wouldn't see the Wing and I wasn't into troubleshooting anymore just then. It does all work though, Dante internal, wireless router and Tablet/Copilot, xdante/Core and DVS!
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

GaryH wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:07 pm @curtbl @MJKlein @Pancho OK so I have my system set up as follows. I'm connected to my Dante network switch (Cisco 3750) with a lan cable from my Wing (wing dante internal), one from my Core (currently with my X-Dante card in it) one from a ubiquti router (used for nothing at the moment but it's normally how I connect to wireless without using any internet), and one lan cable from this pc for Dante Controller and DVS. My Wing is a few rooms away and its 2nd control port has a lan cable connected to my Xfinity home router. I was just plain too lazy to run a second long cable from it back to here...unless it didn't work for any reason. Both X-Dante and Wing Internal are set as "switched" (network config tab) I used an older iPad with Copilot installed (latest version) and pulled up Copilot. Wing was seen right away and connected without issue! My Dante network working 100% as well. I will say Dante Controller kind of went through some contortions the first time. I think my switch was getting things in order reflecting the addition of the Xfinity router and it eventually all straightened out in maybe a minute give or take. BTW I also used DHCP for the Wing, I did try static later but my iPad wouldn't see the Wing and I wasn't into troubleshooting anymore just then. It does all work though, Dante internal, wireless router and Tablet/Copilot, xdante/Core and DVS!
Gary, sounds great..... I am "assuming" that the Xfinity home router is handing out the DHCP addresses to your network or is the Cisco handing out the addresses... Either should work but not both! My only ????? is you connecting the Xfinity router to one of the wing ports and the other wing port to the cisco .... this should work good with no issues if the Wing is powered on, but wondering if you still have internet to the other devices if the wing is powered off.... as I see no way for the Xfinity to get to the other networked systems fwith the Wing off. Did I miss something?
Ubiquti routers have had serious issues with Dante, I tossed out several on a site as they just didn't work, that said, they were setup for VLANS too and IGMP snooping just never worked right. 1 option might be putting the Ubiquiti with the wing, hooking the Xfinity to the Ubiquiti, and also the Wing and the Cisco as well as you wireless that way if the Wing is off you should still have internet to everything "assuming" that is an issue to begin with.

Curt
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@curtbl

"Either should work but not both!"

But they did work together. I would suspect the Cisco switch was handing out addresses, at least for Dante. As I said Dante Controller first threw up errors but without my intervention, adjusted to "green" within a minute or so, I just figured it was the switch dealing with the addition of the Xfinity connection (in some way beyond my feeble understanding) that caused the glitching and didn't think about it much more. I was looking to have my cake and eat it too and when I did I declared victory of course! I don't know how it exactly worked but it did.

"My only ????? is you connecting the Xfinity router to one of the wing ports and the other wing port to the cisco"

Yes, that's exactly what I did. To be clear this connection scenario was just meant to see if I could use my tablet and use the Dante network also. Just a test. The Xfinity router will never be a part of that in any other scenario. Both worked though at the same time. Not what I would normally do. What I would likely do in a live situation is use the ubiquity (or some wifi router) to provide remote operation. With regard to the Wing being off or on...I didn't try off BUT everything worked in the house as far as I could tell with it on. I was able to watch my soaps and still fool with Dante :-) Of course when all the mixer stuff was off the home router kept working as usual. My live experience has been with aes50 and a wifi router connected to the desk, no switches involved.

What then would be the ideal connection allowing both remote desk operation like copilot/mixing station and dante? I would have thought subbing the Ubiquiti (or some other maker) to the second wing control port was how I would do it. However IF connecting a router to just my switch will get me there without using the second control port at all, life would be grand.
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

GaryH wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:19 am @curtbl

"Either should work but not both!"

But they did work together. I would suspect the Cisco switch was handing out addresses, at least for Dante. As I said Dante Controller first threw up errors but without my intervention, adjusted to "green" within a minute or so, I just figured it was the switch dealing with the addition of the Xfinity connection (in some way beyond my feeble understanding) that caused the glitching and didn't think about it much more. I was looking to have my cake and eat it too and when I did I declared victory of course! I don't know how it exactly worked but it did.

"My only ????? is you connecting the Xfinity router to one of the wing ports and the other wing port to the cisco"

Yes, that's exactly what I did. To be clear this connection scenario was just meant to see if I could use my tablet and use the Dante network also. Just a test. The Xfinity router will never be a part of that in any other scenario. Both worked though at the same time. Not what I would normally do. What I would likely do in a live situation is use the ubiquity (or some wifi router) to provide remote operation. With regard to the Wing being off or on...I didn't try off BUT everything worked in the house as far as I could tell with it on. I was able to watch my soaps and still fool with Dante :-) Of course when all the mixer stuff was off the home router kept working as usual. My live experience has been with aes50 and a wifi router connected to the desk, no switches involved.

What then would be the ideal connection allowing both remote desk operation like copilot/mixing station and dante? I would have thought subbing the Ubiquiti (or some other maker) to the second wing control port was how I would do it. However IF connecting a router to just my switch will get me there without using the second control port at all, life would be grand.
Watching the soaps! Priorities! yes Priorities!
So either will work, around the home front you can then take you laptop with Dante Controller on it anywhere in the house. however at gigs having a router on the second wing port just gives you more ports to have on location.
My Laptop is upstairs at this moment with a wired Ethernet connection through a USP adapter to my network, The Wing is in the theater with a single wired connection to my network and I'm at my desk running Dante Controller able to see all of them and make changes, then when I bring my laptop down to the Wing I just plug it into the second Wing port and it comes up with same IP address and DVS continues to work just fine. Networks can be a lot of fun when they work and a pain in the SOAP when they don't.... BTW all this time my wife is in her office still conducting meetings from home over the same network that Internet, Dante, and Wing control are on.....
Have fun!
Curt

Return to “WING Consoles”