X-Dante Card into internal expansion slot

Behringer WING Consoles
mrdrennan

Re: X-Dante Card into internal expansion slot

Post by mrdrennan »

Well, I've taken things from bad to worse. I tried switching the card to redundancy mode in a random effort to get audio flowing. Now I've got myself locked out of the card configuration with no apparent way back. I've experimented just enough with networking to be a menace to myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated @GaryH @pvannatto .

pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

mrdrennan wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:36 pm @pvannatto, that looks very handy. Does it work with wing?
No that version of Scene Parser only works with the X32/M32. There is also a version for the X-Air/M-Air consoles
Re: Gig Performer,

You can create “rack spaces” with different “variations” (snippets). Widgets such as buttons, faders, pads can send OSC, and the states are remembered from variation to variation. When I switch variations, I can have multiple osc commands fired off, giving me snippet functionality.
Evidently you are making snippets within Gig Performer to send OSC commands to the X32. That is a bit different than creating snippets that reside in the X32 snippet section. My Live Toolbox also does the same thing, using tidbits (snippets on steroids) and can work with the X32 and Wing (with Wing Live Toolbox).
If the parser works for Wing, it would greatly expedite programming commands and then I could assign entire snippets to a single widget (button) in Gig Performer.
Unfortunately the Wing does not yet support snippet functionality (officially). They are working on it, though. But I have learned that you can create modified (or limited) snapshot files that in essence functions like snippets. With that understanding, I developed an X32 scene to Wing snapshot converter and included it into my Wing Snipshot Toolbox (snipshot is my term for snapshot snippets) to help develop modified snapshot files. The Wing uses JSON formatted files in contrast to the X32 ASCII scene files.

For controlling the Wing connected to it (live), settings can be sent and received using either the native mode (JSON format) on port 2222 or OSC mode (OSC protocol) on port 2223. Live Toolbox communicates with the Wing using the OSC protocol (port 2223). Patrick has extensively documented both modes.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@mrdrennan You don’t want redundant mode. You can select the Wing device, double click it and select device configuration (I think) change it back to switched. Also I suggest using the Wing internal not Dante as master clock. Open up the first window you posted more, there are other columns you are not seeing. Show what is hidden there if you can. In general if Dante controller still sees it, it’s fixable, even if not there are ways.
mrdrennan

Post by mrdrennan »

@GaryH unfortunately it won’t let me back to the device config screen. I’m just met with that error. I’m now trying to setup a redundant network with another switch I had lying around to gain access to it again.
mrdrennan

Post by mrdrennan »

I feel I'm getting farther away :cry:

Dante Controller is no longer reading the card and I noticed that the Wing console will no longer pull a DHCP address. I have the following connections:

Wing Dante port (right) plugged into my Netgear Nighthawk router with DHCP server.
Mac Mini also hardwired into Netgear Nighthawk, and properly receiving DHCP (192.168.1.76)
Dante Virtual Soundcard is running and connected to en0 (192.168.1.76)
Mac Mini shows up in Dante Controller, but not the Wing.

At least until I switched it to redundant network, I could see both devices. Now I can't get the Dante card back to "switched"!
mrdrennan

Post by mrdrennan »

Ok @GaryH , I bypassed my Netgear Nighthawk completely and connected the Wing and the Mac Mini to a Netgear Prosafe. All of a sudden, the Wing could be seen again and I was able to switch it back to "Switched" (I won't make that mistake again.) I don't really love solutions that just "happen" without me understanding why, but at this point, I'll take it.

That leaves me back to where I was at 2pm when I initially installed the card; everything is seen, but no audio is passing. You can see from the "Clock Status" tab that the Mini is still muted and not synced. I do not understand why. I never had this issue when the X-Dante was in the X32 Rack. I do have Sync Source set to "Internal" in the Wing, at your recommendation. I'm going to leave things pretty much as they are until hopefully you can help me sort through the sync issues.

Thanks again.

GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Edit: Sorry just saw your new post! Disregard this.

Sorry about your troubles. I would maybe remove it from the Wing and start afresh. Without the card in, this should get the Wing network ports back working as they were previously. BUT you might first look into “fail safe” mode with Dante Controller. That should be able to fix the card. I have NOT used it so I can’t really help much in this operation. You need to download the appropriate files from Audinate. My understanding is that you connect (hard wire) the Wing (or whatever messed up Dante device) to a computer not connected to anything else in the network but the one problem device, and run Dante Controller. It supposedly will see the problem device and repair it or identify it as a needing repair. I can look into this more tomorrow. You can search for help with this at the Audinate site. I know I downloaded all the appropriate fail safe files at one point but have never had to use them. It may be that removing it and reinstalling it again could possibly reset it? This maybe is worth a try.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

I’m not sure exactly how you connected the router but it should connect to a port on your netgear switch just like other Dante devices would. I will check my stuff tomorrow. There are specific settings I used to get things working in DC and can’t recall from memory how they are set. Glad you got it back at least!
mrdrennan

Post by mrdrennan »

Thanks @GaryH.

The failsafe mode is good to know about, in case I can’t get the card online again.

To further confuse the situation, I connected my MacBook Pro with a separate instance of DVS to the switch. It immediately slaved to the Wing and I was able to pass system audio from my laptop to the Wing over Dante. Making progress.

Next I opened a DAW, set the audio input to DVS and routed channel 1 and 2 from the Wing as a transmitter to the MacBook Pro as a receiver. In the wing I set Dante output 1 to carry a microphone signal. When I setup a channel in my DAW and set it to Input monitoring, I got a nasty hiss like some sort of feedback loop, but not the microphone signal I was expecting.

I still don’t understand why the Mac Mini won’t sync to the Wing, nor why I couldn’t get audio going in the opposite direction to my laptop. Maybe I just had beginners luck with my X32s, but the Dante routing always just “worked”.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

I think your issues may be related to the device settings, clocking more specifically, As said there are settings not showing up (or not yet shown) in your posted pics that do have bearing on functioning. I will check later. Remember this is a 32 ch card in a device meant for 64 so there may be issues no one has seen yet. You may be the pioneer here. BTW I did notice you have the latest firmware file loaded. I'm of the mind that it will function ok with the bugs worked out BUT I could be wrong. There is even an issue with networking using the actual 64 ch Wing-Dante external card in the Wing internal slot that requires it to be flashed with the correct (Behringer official) internal firmware file to work as it should. It has to do with how the second wing network port operates with an internal card installed. I do know that this works perfectly for that particular card at the moment, but again it is a 64 ch Brooklyn II card not 32. If I were you and had a X-Dante card but no mixer to use it in I might (I said might) try flashing it with the Wing Dante internal firmware file. That would be a very risky move BTW. With fail safe mode I feel like it could be fixable should it screw up-that said it could just end up an expensive paperweight so be advised. OR (recommended) you could sell it and buy a known functioning 64 ch Brooklyn II card, you may end up way happier. X-Dante cards are scarce so it would sell quickly leaving but a few hundred (or way less-mine was under $400) out of pocket additional funds (there are at least 2 or 3 on eBay right now I know of at $575) The Kevic model is around $400 from a (very reliable) fellow in S. Korea. The Yamaha NY64 will NOT work at least at the moment it will not.

ALSO is your switch a managed switch? It should be to work properly. I have all my Dante related devices plugged in to a managed (Cisco) switch. I have a music dedicated router (Ubiquiti) that is hardwired to my switch also (NOT directly connected to any mixer or PC but to the switch). My computer is also hardwired to the switch. The switch is central to all. A cable from my X32C with X-Dante, a cable from Wing (internal and external at the moment) a few cables form 2 other Dante enabled devices. I am able to connect to all in this set up. Including wirelessly to the router if I want and my pc can still connect wirelessly to my home router for internet if needed (usual usage) My Wing is out of this loop at the moment but all it will take is to connect some long Lan cables which I will do later this am.
Last edited by GaryH on Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “WING Consoles”