Mixing Station and IDCAs

All aspects of David Schumann's excellent mixing app
KMaxwell

Mixing Station and IDCAs

Post by KMaxwell »

Mixing Station

I am not a novice with Mixing Station but I am also not an expert. With that said. I am setting up some default settings and layout in Mixing station that will be mostly used for the singers in a church setting to use to control their IEM mixes. This will be used with an X32Rack that will be there monitor mixer. At the moment there is a Full sized X32 at FOH.

I am trying to come up with an idiot proof way to let the people control their IEM Mix. Maybe I should call it a user friendly way.

I am using IDCAs for each Mix Bus send (Layer) for them. I am trying to figure out if I need to let any device access any mix bus send (Layer) or a few layers or just their own Layer. Part of the reasoning for allowing this is if someone doesn’t have their device or if they want another singer to help them. I can probably steer the leadership towards whatever way is better. But I can come up with reasons why each way has its pros and cons. This will be setup in a way that the person mixing FOH can help them if needed.

The IDCAs will be set up something like this. An IDCA for the individual’s mic only, the more ME control. An IDCA that will be all the other vocals. An IDCA that will be all instruments except for the drums and an IDCA for just the drums. And an IDCA or 2 for other things. I also like that when you touch the IDCA name all of the channels in that IDCA spill to the screen.

I am seeing a little bit of an interesting behavior if I select channels for a IDCA and I don’t want them up but might want it in the future. I need to put them at nominal and mute them. I was trying to anticipate a channel needed in the future. But I think it would be better to not include a channel in an IDCA unless it is really needed now. Also having an IDCA setup to control things that are already in another IDCA looks like it can work but might cause confusion so I won’t do that.

I am leaning towards making this configuration (? customization) available in the Mixing Station community. I was thinking of opening an account specifically for this church that would allow the members of the band to download their settings to install it on their device. I am assuming that the settings will work on any of the supported devices. I haven’t looked at the community site in a while except to from in Mixing Station download one of my previous settings.
GaryH

Re: Mixing Station and IDCAs

Post by GaryH »

@KMaxwell The Facebook private user group might be a good place for your question. David Schumann (who developed the app) is the administrator and he answers questions and posts there all the time. Besides him, many others with lots of MS knowledge. Another info source anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5706316 ... &ref=notif
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

Thank you. I just submitted a request to join over there.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

I guess the moderators on the Mixing Station Facebook page are on vacation. I summited my request to join 2 days ago and still no response. May they will be back next week.
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

@KMaxwell I had created a mixing station interface for our youth m32 system, and yes idiot proof is probably correct. I just used busses and eliminated everything else. I have tried to enclose a screen shot.
As you assign names and colors on the console they populate on the mixing station app. Access to all inputs on a per buss basis but no access to main mixes.
Let me know if this might help
Curt
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

@curtbl

I don;t know if you were following along In the Mixing Station Facebook group. I had some problems but it is working now pretty close to what I was looking to do.

My configuration is in My Data in the Mixing Station Community (which is a great resource) it is under my name ans is called “IDCA Monitor setup”. If you or anyone else wants to take a look at it, it is Public. I removed all of the layers but the Monitor Mix1 that I configured with the IDCAs. I probably didn’t need to do that for Restricted Mode but I will test how it works both ways before I make up my mind how I want this to work. My setup is still a work in progress. This is only for the person on mic 1 there will be other versions customized for each persons Mic.

Return to “Mixing Station”