AES50 Cables and ESD

GaryH

Re: AES50 Cables and ESD

Post by GaryH »

@Dan Mortensen Thats a challenge I probably won’t meet. I never intended to use even the 300 feet sections together. This was only done to show the FB doubters that Cat8 not only worked but worked well even at longer distances under poor conditions (using multiple interconnected reels) I made those reels for other shorter chores, device to device. I would want to use one non interrupted longer length (150-250) reel in a real life situation that required such length. 350 feet especially interconnected like that would be tempting fate a bit too much. Yes, I would love to test them with a really good meter, perhaps one day I get one to try. I’ll keep an eye out for a good deal on one or borrow one if I can.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

GaryH wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:47 am This was only done to show the FB doubters that Cat8 not only worked but worked well
I'm absolutely shocked that the FB fact-checkers haven't straightened everyone out on that issue, like they do with all other issues.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
Every possible way to contact me: https://MySlink.app/mjklein
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Dan Mortensen Hey Dan, will this one do the trick?
Dan Mortensen

Post by Dan Mortensen »

GaryH wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:24 pm @Dan Mortensen Hey Dan, will this one do the trick?
Well, first, my ability to understand this networking stuff is to pretty much parrot what trusted people have told me, so I don't think I'm qualified to go in new directions.

That said, looking at this closely, in the "Test Cables" description, it says "The TVR10/100/1000 is also a pairs tester - telling you which pairs are wired and whether they are straight through or crossover."

That is nice to know, but tells nowhere near enough of the story. You need to know the data capacity of the cable you are looking at, in its current configuration and as wired.

Since this thing tells you what speed two Ethernet devices have negotiated to talk to each other, I suppose you could do that first with two trusted cables, then insert your cable-under-test and see if that negotiated speed is the same or has dropped down. That's kind of a kludged test rig, though; the ones that I linked to don't need this other stuff.

And it won't work to test between our consoles and stage boxes, since AES50 is not Ethernet-compatible or vice versa. That's why we can't use switches and things like that between console and stage box.

People who are actually experts may feel differently than this, but that'll be my feeling until I learn different.

Return to “Stageboxes”