AES50 Cables and ESD

RexBeckett

Re: AES50 Cables and ESD

Post by RexBeckett »

Interesting info, @GaryH .

Back in the mists of time, when it was first realised that ESD was damaging semiconductors during product assembly, I had to certify some subcontractors' facilities. I was equipped with a hand-held ESD indicator (made by Trend I think) that had LEDs for various electrostatic field levels. I could often reject a facility by walking in to the assembly area, switching on my ESD indicator, sliding my foot across the floor by six inches and watching the >25kV LED flash. :shock:

Contractors were usually horrified at the list of ESD-friendly items that they had to obtain. Including: flooring, chair castors, waste bins, conveyer belts, filing trays, printer paper, trollies, hand tools, soldering stations, etc. That was in addition to the grounded work-stations, wrist-straps, ankle-straps, ionizers and testing stations they had already bought and expected to make them ESD-safe.

I did not enjoy being the ESD-police and was very happy to pass the task to others.
Last edited by RexBeckett on Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

@pvannatto @GaryH @Dan Mortensen

Thanks for all the tips, gentlemen. I'll have a go when the shells turn up.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@RexBeckett i would highly recommend these, see attached, you only need the few parts from it in the first picture. It will allow flat and larger diameter cable. The flanged edge of those 2 parts there face away from the chuck toward the barrel, then fits into the chuck. Flange keeps it from falling out. The 2 flanged pieces slide together to form a circle around your cable. Type NE8MC-B edit: the B is just for color (black)

RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

GaryH wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:58 pm @RexBeckett i would highly recommend these, see attached, you only need the few parts from it in the first picture. It will allow flat and larger diameter cable. The flanged edge of those 2 parts there face away from the chuck toward the barrel, then fits into the chuck. Flange keeps it from falling out. The 2 flanged pieces slide together to form a circle around your cable. Type NE8MC-B edit: the B is just for color (black)
So you prefer these to the more recent NE8MX-B, @GaryH ? I could not decide, from the Neutrik assembly guide, which would be the best fit so I have both types coming.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@RexBeckett The few parts I showed in my previous post are available in both versions, I have used both. That piece circled in green below is extremely hard to fit on flat (wide) or large diameter cable. Either model should have the needed pieces for your cable project and be ok. "D1" used with flat cat7/8 will cause you much aggravation. D2 shows the flanged pieces I spoke of but put together and it's what you will want to use. The newer version part "C" fits over some rj45's better. It could be that the newer version will accommodate non "stepped" rj45's much better.
(edited to make wording clearer)

Last edited by GaryH on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

GaryH wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:22 pm It could be that the newer version will accommodate non "stepped" rj45's much better.
That does look possible from the assembly instructions. I have quite a lot of cables with non-stepped RJ45s so I will see how that works out. Many thanks, Gary, for the details. This thread has become quite a repository of information on AES50 cabling - for diligent searchers.
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

RexBeckett wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:35 pm
GaryH wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:58 pm @RexBeckett i would highly recommend these, see attached, you only need the few parts from it in the first picture. It will allow flat and larger diameter cable. The flanged edge of those 2 parts there face away from the chuck toward the barrel, then fits into the chuck. Flange keeps it from falling out. The 2 flanged pieces slide together to form a circle around your cable. Type NE8MC-B edit: the B is just for color (black)
So you prefer these to the more recent NE8MX-B, @GaryH ? I could not decide, from the Neutrik assembly guide, which would be the best fit so I have both types coming.
It seems that it is a moot point, @GaryH . Neutrik shows the NE8MC as discontinued and replaced by the NE8MX. My suppliers sent me two lots of NE8MX-B. If you really like the NE8MC-B, you may want to stock-up from any supplier who still has some.

A couple of minutes with a small pair of end-cutters and I was able to peel the moulded boot off a stepped RJ45 without damaging the cable. The NE8MX-B shell fitted perfectly and the cable passes my cores + shell continuity test. Thanks to all the great advice, it was a quick and painless process.

I'll have a go at a stepless RJ45 next and see if that is just as easy.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@RexBeckett I have a few stashed already :-) however the 2 pretty important parts (wider diameter chuck to fit over pre terminated cable and the 2 flanged pieces to fit around larger diameter and flat cable) are also in the MX style package so I will be ok down the road when mine are gone. I do have a few of the new NE8MX-TOP (true outdoor protection) style which I do like but they are meant for non terminated cable. The end of the chuck is elastic to remain tightly sealed around the cable, I don't know for sure but doubt it would fit flat cable well. Glad you had success, keep us posted on the non stepped fit.
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

GaryH wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:00 pm ... keep us posted on the non stepped fit.
The flat cables with non-stepped RJ45s that I have are really hard to peel. The moulding plastic is extremely tough and very well stuck to the cable and plug. I did eventually get most of it off and discovered that the metal shell is really short - about 1/2" from plug nose to the back edge. There are also no metal wings at the back. This is too short to get any support from the etherCON barrel so the plug can wave about - just supported by the cable.

This is what the cables look like. The metal shell stops where it meets the plastic.

I did consider that, instead of cutting it all off, I could mill the back of the plastic boot and leave enough to hold in the barrel. Dismissed the idea as there would be no ground continuity between the RJ45 and etherCON shells.

So, the non-stepped cables that I have are not suitable for etherCON shells without replacing the RJ45s.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@RexBeckett Wow, that is mighty short! Unusually so from what I’ve seen. Sorry. Well you can experiment now with re terminating if you want, another whole adventure with flat cable! I was just about to post about the Empanar brand (I just got a short piece)

Return to “Stageboxes”