Mute and Solo REAPER tracks from X32...

Support forum for the AutoMate family of console automation specifically designed for Behringer/Midas consoles by Patrick Gilles-Maillot.

This forum is also for support with Reaper and the X-Live expansion card with respect to AutoMate.

https://x32ram.com
Forum rules
For generic X-Live support, please go to the appropriate forum here:
viewforum.php?f=47
pmaillot

Mute and Solo REAPER tracks from X32...

Post by pmaillot »

... without touching the mouse, nor REAPER, and with no change to X32 audio engine... on up to 64 REAPER tracks.

That's what MJ and I discussed a few days back and I coded that for an upcoming release of X32ReaperAutoMate. Using the Rec-Rdy (record arm toggle) function. The idea is if you click on a SELECT, MUTE, or SOLO button (any X32 channel strip) while Rec-Rdy is engaged, it will re-arm, mute, or solo the respective REAPER track, and will not make nor record any change on the X32, i.e. once you dis-engage Rec-Rdy, everything is back to whatever your X32 was before.

The early (and limited so far) tests I made are very encouraging. MJ has the need for these features in an upcoming job and will test more thoroughly.

I'll have to check if and how this could also be implemented for the WING version of Automate. At this point I 'm not positive on how to implement this for WING, but one never knows...

Look forward to this in version 2.016 of X32ReaperAutoMate!
-Patrick
curtbl

Re: Mute and Solo REAPER tracks from X32...

Post by curtbl »

@pmaillot So this sounds pretty good, if I completely understand. Patrick is this anything like what we spoke about to eliminate the solo being recorded on the wing? Which I actually need to revisit with you now that the wing is back home. Like I said, I'm not completely up to speed on this concept, it seems to me you would want the opposite, meaning, if I understand, I would want those features non operational when REC-RDY is engaged so X32 or Wing would not record those functions during the record process. Like I said I'm probably missing something.
Curt
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

@curtbl these functions are not part of the automation recording aspect of the program. They are actually DAW controls to make it more convenient to do things in the DAW that you would have to grab a mouse for.

When I'm editing a stereo pair of tracks and I don't want to change the level on the console, or unlink them so I can just hear one of the two tracks, I ordinarily grab the mouse and solo one track and then press the mono button on the monitor section. That way I only hear that track. Being able to solo that track with the controls on the X32 without touching the mouse is significantly more convenient. Same goes for Muting, especially because when working with Mixdown tracks they should either be soloed or muted. These functions are a special type of DAW control exclusive to AutoMate.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

@MJKlein Thanks for providing explanations.
One thing to mention is that the MUTE button functionality when Rec-Rdy is engaged doesn't work well with linked/stereo tracks, because of the way X32 manages linked strips.
As I have to cancel the mute immediately after it has been pressed by the user (so the resulting effect is a no-op on the X32), the following happens:
X32 send strip i mute and automatically generate a strip i+1 mute which doesn't send anything. I reply with a strip i unmute, which is automatically propagated to strip i+1, this time generating an OSC message that is interpreted by X32ReaperAutoMate as a new mute button press on strip i+1. I naturally send a mute to strip i+1, which is propagated to strip i, etc, etc... See the catch 22 problem?

I think I'll have to put some kind of ugly fix but that one will likely not work in all situations. So I have to think twice about this.

Linked channel strips are a real pain in X32. The thing is really not made/thought as a stereo desk, unlike the WING.

-Patrick
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

pmaillot wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:29 am I think I'll have to put some kind of ugly fix but that one will likely not work in all situations. So I have to think twice about this.

Linked channel strips are a real pain in X32. The thing is really not made/thought as a stereo desk, unlike the WING.
Maybe the approach should be to use the Select button for Rec-ready, Mute and Solo just with different modifiers. That way, it wouldn't affect linked channels adversely. Plus pressing select doesn't do anything to the state of the mix. Maybe something like this:

S1 + Select = Solo
S2 + Select = Mute
S1 + S2 = Rec-ready

The state of the console remains the same in each case and it doesn't matter if channels are linked.

Of course I have no idea if that is feasible.
English/中文
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

I think I can make/have S1S2 pressed down = enter DAW mode for REAPER changes not affecting X32

As soon as you stop pressing down S1S2, the program exits DAW mode for REAPER.

While in DAW mode for REAPER, the X32 SELECT, MUTE and SOLO buttons act on the corresponding REAPER track for their respective feature, with SELECT being Rec Arming.

There may be a solution for linked channel strips, but I have to test for its impact on DAW mode responsiveness.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

It Works!

Wow! Being able to record arm, mute and solo Reaper tracks with AutoMate and not touching the mouse is a real pleasure!

Thank you Patrick for another additional set of ingenius functions!
English/中文
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Ain't that great? :P

I've been polishing a few other things (SIP too slow to setup, issue in the handling of Shift 1 when entering SIP, layers/banks switching when restoring internally saved scenes, etc...)
This is going to be a nice update!

-Patrick

Return to “AutoMate Support”