Very beginner - any source for learning X32 routing?

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
MJKlein
Site Admin

Re: Very beginner - any source for learning X32 routing?

Post by MJKlein »

FlavioB wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:40 pm I'd like to record the return signal of my outboard FX, which is connected to a stereo pair of AUX send/return. For now, I just achieved to record the input of my outboard FX - where to I pick the output of it?
The Aux inputs won't go to the card like that unless you replace some of the main Channel inputs. I personally record all of my DAW tracks using Mixbuses. Whatever is assigned to the bus can be selected as a record source in the DAW.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@FlavioB

Outboard fx returns in your setup would be the aux in’s from the X32 perspective. If you need the aux in’s to be recorded, especially just a few, the user routing should help you there. If not, you will need to use the entire bank of 8 aux in ch’s for your card out routing which will eat up many of the 16 record ch’s you don’t need it to and also supply 2 ch’s of talkback as part of that group of 8 which you very likely don't need. Using the user routing allows single ch choices from any source group. That will be the better choice imo.

If you have been using the ultranet 1-8 and 9-16 as the card out sources for 16 ch’s. Set the ultranet out menu up as usual but with your desired choices but only for the first 14 ch’s. (You need at least SOME of the 16 recorded ch’s to be the aux in’s)

Using X/M32-Edit (see pics below)

In the Card out menu, set it up to be “user out” 1-8 and “user out” 9-16 INSTEAD OF the ultranet out you were using.

Then go to the user out routing menu and set it up for the ultranet p16 ch's 1-8 and p16 ch's 9,10,11, 12, 13 and 14 and for the last 2, change to the aux in/T source group and select aux in 1 and 2. That should record 14 ch’s selected from your set up ultranet menu (with desired tap points) and 2 aux in ch’s (your outboard fx returns) to your DAW. If you need more than those 2 aux in’s recorded you would need to alter the user routing to make that happen.

FlavioB

Post by FlavioB »

MJKlein wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:29 am I personally record all of my DAW tracks using Mixbuses. Whatever is assigned to the bus can be selected as a record source in the DAW.
Can you detail on this method, please?
F.
FlavioB

Post by FlavioB »

GaryH wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:19 am @FlavioB

Outboard fx returns in your setup would be the aux in’s from the X32 perspective.
That! This was the point I was missing - many thanks for this and the pictures. Now I can try to "design" the routing for my studio's DAW.
My idea/goal is to have my DAW act as some sort of multitrack tape recorder: I just load my template, where all my instruments are assigned fix to some audio channels and I press REC!
I need to take care, of course, of the amount of instruments (I got a whole lot, I think I can almost use 32 channels!) and most probably make some compromises. At least, I need to have 2 stereo pairs for the AUX INs...

F.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

FlavioB wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm
MJKlein wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:29 am I personally record all of my DAW tracks using Mixbuses. Whatever is assigned to the bus can be selected as a record source in the DAW.
Can you detail on this method, please?
I have my card "outs" for 32 tracks from the DAW going to the console, 1:1. But I only have 5 card "ins" going to the DAW ("in" and "out" are referenced to the computer side, not the console side - which always confuses me). My 5 card channels are:

1 & 2 from Mixbus 9 & 10 (linked). This means that anything sent to that Mixbus (which is technically a "group") goes to the DAW on channels 1/2.

Main L/R is assigned to card outs 3 & 4. That way I can record the mixdown of the Main L/R bus on a stereo track in the DAW by selecting card out 3 & 4.

Card out 5 is a seldom-used spare that I have assigned to a single Mixbus for the same purpose as group 9 & 10 above, but single channel.

I use my X32 exclusively in the studio and I only record 1 or 2 tracks at a time since I am a solo artist. I do a lot of mixing/mastering for other artists but I don't record bands in my studio.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
FlavioB

Post by FlavioB »

MJKlein wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:31 pm I have my card "outs" for 32 tracks from the DAW going to the console, 1:1. But I only have 5 card "ins" going to the DAW ("in" and "out" are referenced to the computer side, not the console side - which always confuses me). My 5 card channels are:

1 & 2 from Mixbus 9 & 10 (linked). This means that anything sent to that Mixbus (which is technically a "group") goes to the DAW on channels 1/2.

Main L/R is assigned to card outs 3 & 4. That way I can record the mixdown of the Main L/R bus on a stereo track in the DAW by selecting card out 3 & 4.

Card out 5 is a seldom-used spare that I have assigned to a single Mixbus for the same purpose as group 9 & 10 above, but single channel.

I use my X32 exclusively in the studio and I only record 1 or 2 tracks at a time since I am a solo artist. I do a lot of mixing/mastering for other artists but I don't record bands in my studio.
Thanks for explaining.
I'm also using my X32 purely in my studio (electronic music - synthesizers and drum machines).
I don't think your kind of setup would fit my needs, as I'd like to record all instruments independently (multi-track). The only drawback of this, would be that in case of post-processing and eliminating some parts, if the parts I'd remove would've been passed through one of my outboard send/return effects, I would not be able to remove the effect part, as it would be in the stereo channel (outboard return signal). I think I can live (for now) with this "limitation"...

F.
FlavioB

Post by FlavioB »

... just another question: if I route "local 1-8" (source) to card outputs 1-8, is there any way to tap those signals post-fader (like it can be done when using ultranet)?
Same thing for the "User IN"?!
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@FlavioB No, local ch option is only just after preamp.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”