The "new" MIDI commands in WING

All documentation related to the Wing
pmaillot

The "new" MIDI commands in WING

Post by pmaillot »

Hello,

This may help others so here goes:

I discovered not a long time ago the fact you can now assign a MIDI command (CC push, CC toggle, Note Push, Note toggle, or Program Change) to a button (or a rotary encoder). This is great news :) But what's even better is that the button/encoder will also send OSC/native data.

So far, only CC and Note send only 0 or 127 as OSC/Native data. Other values and Program Change sending data too may come in the future.

How it works: The simplest is to use the WING VIEW button corresponding to the area where the button you want to use is, and to program it using the WING on-screen 'editor'. Choose a button, in the Function list, select MIDICC push (for example), and in the MIDI Channel list, select a CC channel (16 for example), and select a MIDI custom control in the MIDI CC list (1 for example). Done!

Now, your button will send MIDI Chan 16 CC 1 value 127 when you press the button, and 0 when you release it! It will also send an OSC command with the button identifier, and value 127 or 0 as int when pressing/releasing the button.

This opens a new set of features in programming the console to perform external tasks :)

I documented this in the wapi and WING OSC documents in ver. 0.53, both available on my website.

Happy reading and coding!
-Patrick
curtbl

Re: The "new" MIDI commands in WING

Post by curtbl »

@pmaillot thanks this will be a great functional addition to the operation of external devices.
Great Info, Thanks!
jaz123sun

Post by jaz123sun »

Hi @pmaillot
I try to assign a midi note to the first custom control button on layer 1 (To control a Key from my keyboard using "midiStroke" and control FinalCut pro X)
This is a midi note (Toggle) on midi channel 1 and the midi note are #94
The assign is good inside the wing but the midi message aren't sending !
I use "Midi Monitor" on Mac to view all the midi message !
In "DAW" and "2-TRACK TRANSP" mode, when I hit a button or play with the jog wheel, the midi message appear inside "Midi Monitor" app.
But when I stay in "DAW" mode and I hit the "USER" button (My assign command appear) The toggle assign work (Orange = 127 and No color =0) but no midi message appear inside "Midi Monitor app.
The jog wheel work and I can navigate inside the timeline from FinalCut Pro X.
But my custom midi Wing command send nothing !
Midi are sending by usb
My Wing are 2.0 firmware.
Do you have an idea ?
Best Regards !
Jaz.
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

@jaz123sun If I understand you well, you want WING to receive a MIDI note sent from your computer keyboard, and that MIDI note will trigger whatever is programmed in USER CC button 1, on layer 1.

-1- make sure your SETUP->REMOTE->CustomCOntrol MIDI is setup/enabled (maybe ExternalMIDIControl too), This will allow WING to receive MIDI data from your computer to action CC buttons.
-2- program your CC Layer 1, Button 1 to do whatever you need over MIDI, OSC or local action. If MIDI and when pressed the button on your WING, you should see that programmed MIDI data to your Midi Monitor app.
-3- if ( as mentioned in -1-) your WING is setup to receive MIDI acting on CC, you should be able to activate that Layer 1, Button 1 from your computer keyboard sending Midi note 0 to Midi ch 6

I am not close to my WING before the end of the week; will be able to verify/confirm the above then.
-P

Return to “WING”