WING questions.

Behringer WING Consoles
KMaxwell

WING questions.

Post by KMaxwell »

For a musical if I am using a WING at FOH (with a DL32 at the stage) with an X32Compact as a stage box or even a pit band sub mixer does it matter what firmware the X32Compact is on? At the moment I think the X32compact has firmware version 3.11.

I am very familiar with Auto mixers has anyone on here used the auto mixers in the WING? Is it a good implementation? This is for the dialog parts in a musical I usually use Shure SCM810 auto mixers with very good results. I will be turning the Auto mix functionality on and off on the channels as they need it, using Palladium. I have this working in Palladium already but I haven’t tried using it for a show yet.
pvannatto

Re: WING questions.

Post by pvannatto »

@KMaxwell , I'm not aware of any Wing issues when working with older X32 firmware. But they really should update it anyways.

I haven't used the automix on the Wing other than create a tool for the Wing Snipshot Toolbox (for another user). You can assign any channel to automix, max 16 channels at any one time.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

pvannatto wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:32 am @KMaxwell , I'm not aware of any Wing issues when working with older X32 firmware. But they really should update it anyways.

I haven't used the automix on the Wing other than create a tool for the Wing Snipshot Toolbox (for another user). You can assign any channel to automix, max 16 channels at any one time.
I really like that “You can assign any channel to automix, max 16 channels at any one time.”. I have played around with that and I have that all working in Palladium. For this upcoming show I only need the first 16 channels of wireless in the Automix since they are the only ones with speaking parts.

I will have to find a way to try and see if the switching as I will need it will be silent. My initial tests tell me it is. I need to see how well it handles the actual automix between multiple mics.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

The X32Compact (running 3.11 firmware) would not communicate with X32edit 4.3 so I updated the X32Compact to version 4.06, then X32 edit 4.3 worked.

The WING is hooked up to a DL32 using AES50a to AES50a. The X32Compact is hooked up with AES50a to AES50b on the WING and actually I tried many different combinations and I have signal but not matter what I do I don’t have head amp (HA) control of the X32Compact from the WING. I can control the HA on the X32 Compact itself and I do have HA control from X32Edit.

I tried AES50c on the WING. I even tried using the AES50b on the DL32 to the AES50a on the X32 Compact, I see the channels but no matter what I do I don’t have the (X32Compact) HA control on the WING anywhere. What am I doing wrong or does this combination just not work?
Last edited by KMaxwell on Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

The console closest to the headamps control the headamps (gain and phantom), unless that console relinquishes control. On the X32/M32 you can relinquish control. That is not currently possible on the Wing. So since the Wing is closest to the DL32, it will control the headamps. Only one console can control the headamps at any one time. Therefore the X32 Compact will only have digital trims on the channel strips.

If you do want the X32 Compact to control the DL32 headamps, connect the DL32 to the X32 Compact, then connect the X32 Compact to the Wing.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

I am sorry I mustn’t have been very clear with my questions. The WING controls the DL32. The X32Compact is being used as another stage box for the WING. It only has the pit bands inputs going in to its XLR jacks. I want to control the X32 Compact Head Amps (HA) with the WING. The only other thing that the X32Comapact will be doing is feeding over 2 XLR cables out of Mix Bus 9/10 to the Video crew to mix the band (using X32edit 4.3) on Mix Bus 9/10 set to a stereo bus. This will feed Into 2 channels on a Mackie 1402 in the balcony and on another channel they will get all of the vocal mics as a Matrix feed from the WING using an XLR cable out of the local WING outputs.

I have the X32 compact set to Sync on AES50a. I tried setting the X32Compact to HA split and that didn’t get me what I wanted.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Did you enable HA remote via the port used to connect the X32?
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

If you want the Wing to control the preamps in the X32 Compact, you have to do what Gary has shown. On the X32 Compact, Setup, preamps screen, enable the HA Remote for the specific AES50 port (A or B) you are using. That will relinquish headamp control to the Wing.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

GaryH wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:53 am Did you enable HA remote via the port used to connect the X32?
@GaryH @pvannatto

Thank you but. Yes I did that and it didn't work.I had trim control but not HA control. today I am going to load a different snapshot on the WING and mess with it and put the X32Compact on the AES50a port of the WING and see if it will work just to eliminate that as a possibility.

But I will actually be violating the old rule of "it basically works don't mess with it". Because I can live with controlling the HA from the computer at FOH.
Last edited by KMaxwell on Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

@KMaxwell , If you have relinquished headamp control to the Wing, the X32-Edit, which is connected to the X32 Compact will only show trim, since the Compact no longer has headamp control. If you turn off the HA Remote, then the X32-Edit should have gain. But you can't have both. Only one console can have headamp control.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator

Return to “WING Consoles”