Behringer S16 and Klark Teknik 9630

streamfuchs

Re: Behringer S16 and Klark Teknik 9650

Post by streamfuchs »

GaryH wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:45 am Did you look into Dante Via at all? I think it could offer an alternative method for your monitoring. It's just software, no physical Dante devices required. May be worth a look.

Yes I did. That was my first idea. But unfortunately that does not work.

To receive audio within Dante Via from my DAW I have to define the Dante Via driver within my DAW as the default audio device.
And that, as you know, is the problem. I have to define the KT-USB driver (for recording).

Dante Via is not able to receive audio directly from the output of another ASIO driver, in Dante Via only the DAW app is visible, not an ASIO driver.
And the output of the DAW is defined by the choice of the default audio driver within the DAW.

So....
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Ah ha, sorry. Seemed hopeful.
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

GaryH wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:14 pm Ah ha, sorry. Seemed hopeful.
No need to apology. Every idea should be discussed.
Thanks!
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

streamfuchs wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:43 pm I decided to buy a DN9630 very recently and checked it for two days now. I tested it with two S16 daisy chained.

When using mode 1 on both S16 it works without problems.
So in this operation mode the DN9630 obviously works as the sync master.

When using mode 11 on the first S16 (this S16 is sync master) it is working as well, the difference is e.g. that the ouputs of the second S16 change to 9-16 which was expected.

For monitoring I tried VMIX as a bridging software (which is able to take two Inputs of the asio driver (KT-USB) and direct it to another asio driver (IFI ZEN DAC).
To use that construction I have to route the outputs of my DAW to lets say output 1 and 2 (KT-USB) and plug these outputs at my S16 into two free inputs.
Of course I am loosing two physical outs and two physical ins but I can live with it, because I only want to use this workaround for small productions with only a few mics.

There is a little latency when monitoring, because VMIX (when started) forces the KT-USB driver to 1024 samples.
Within my DAW I could use smaler buffer sizes theoretically (when I would have a very powerfull laptop what I do not have), but my "monitoring solution" forces me to 1024 samples, even on a very powerfull desktop, I do not know why.
So it is a good idea to monitor with headphones in a separate room (which always is a good idea).

I am going to do a small piano production next week with 4 mics and want to test this scenario.
Lets see whats happening.
I did my piano production today and everything worked as expected. Because my headphone monitoring room was acoustically not very separated, the latency was a bit anoying although it was only 1024 samples. But when using a monitoring room which is acoustically isolated to the recording room this of course is no issue.

So on the whole my setup was proved as usable and I am going to use this configuration for small productions in the future from time to time.
streamfuchs

Re: Behringer S16 and Klark Teknik 9650/9630

Post by streamfuchs »

Hi everybody,

one year ago a looked for a solution to monitor my DN 9630 when operated with a S16.
My solution of using VMIX as a "ASIO bridge" worked but with compromises.

Today I found a better solution.
First of all the the DAW-problem only to accept one driver is not a DAW issue, it is an Windows issue.
On a MAC computer you often find the possibilty to use two asio drivers at the same time in one software but not on windows pc.

The solution is the well known ASIO-driver ASIO4ALL.
Here I can combine e.g. my S16 IN/OUT and my monitoring interface IN (IFI ZEN DAC) within one driver and voila, it works.
You have to test a little bit with the buffer size but it is a defininitely better solution than VMIX and it is freeware.
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

pvannatto wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:39 pm Hi Thomas @streamfuchs ,

Technically speaking, Klark Teknik did not invent AES50 - they bought it from Sony. That said, AES50 can provide remote control of the preamps, since the X32/M32 and Wing consoles have that capability. But the DN9630 I know does not have this feature and presumably it is the same with the DN9650.

Preamp remote control has been requested. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic and the global chip shortage, development across the board with all MT products is 1 to 2 years behind schedule. If you watch the official forum, everyone is demanding their wish lists of features to be developed ASAP over the hundreds of MT products. Currently most of the developers are swamped with redesigning hardware with different chip sets (due to the global chip shortage) as well as trying to find time to please us end users.
Hi everyone,

after good experiences with the software development kit "MAX" and realising the possibility of using the Xtouch controler with coloured scribble strips as well as a multitrack levelmeter I tried to get closer to an very old issue:

To control the mic preamps of an S16 remote without using a X32 mixer.

In the manual of the S16 it is mentioned that these parameters can be controlled with MIDI-messages (over AES 50) but my DN9630 (AES50 to USB converter) does not provide any MIDI port after installing the driver.

I tried another solution: bringing the DN9630 to network by a small UTN (USB to Network device) and creating MIDI ports with rtpMidi.
But rtpMidi needs a port number of my device (myUTN-2500 by SEH technology) and although I found a Port number in the config of the UTN rtpMidi does not respond.

So my question: Are there any good ideas whether it is possible to send MIDI messages with a DN9630?
I mean it is useless when the S16 provides this feature but the interface (DN9630) does not.

Best regards
Thomas
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

I asked Klarteknik about that issue and they told me today:

"Unfortunately no, this is not possible at this time. I will pass your suggestion to the software team."

In other words: No solution within a reasonable time.
streamfuchs

Post by streamfuchs »

Hello everyone,

I am very close to find a solution for remote control of the S16 with my computer.
As soon as have finished the programming I am going to publish the solution here.

@ Paul: Perhaps it is a good idea, to change the topic name to "Behringer S16 and Klark Teknik 9630" if it is possible.
Would make more sense.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

streamfuchs wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:40 am Perhaps it is a good idea, to change the topic name
Evidently Patrick or MJ beat me to it.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
streamfuchs

Re: Behringer S16 and Klark Teknik 9630

Post by streamfuchs »

Hello everyone,

it is done.
I finished the work on the remote app very recently and here it is.

Because of the inability of the DN9630 to deal with MIDI over AES 50 I decided to find a solution with wireless midi which works pretty good.

If you are interested in the app, here is a small video about it:

The tool can be downloaded here:

http://storeds2310.synology.me:5000/d/s ... LHguRHcLAo

So, have fun.

Best regards
Thomas

Return to “Stageboxes”