Behringer UMC404HD

Felonious Punk

Behringer UMC404HD

Post by Felonious Punk »

Let me be the first to sing the praises of the Behringer UMC404HD.

Probably the best decision I made for my modest home studio. So many options with this interface. You won't find a better value.

FP
RexBeckett

Re: Behringer UMC404HD

Post by RexBeckett »

It is pretty good - especially for the modest price. I particularly like the monitor mixer. I do wish the Main and Phones outputs had a greater maximum level. The Main outputs are too low to drive many monitor speakers that only have +/-6dB Trim controls.
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

Here is an unofficial Signal Path Diagram for the UMC404HD. It can help to answer many questions about how the interface works.
Felonious Punk

Post by Felonious Punk »

Thanks for the link, Rex!

i wasn't aware of the lower output. I will keep that in mind when searching for a second, smaller pair of monitors.

FP
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

Felonious Punk wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:06 pm Thanks for the link, Rex!

i wasn't aware of the lower output. I will keep that in mind when searching for a second, smaller pair of monitors.

FP
The maximum output level is +3dBu, FP. That is more typical of RCA than XLRs so it trips folk up quite often.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

The low output is a result of the 202HD and 204HD being USB powered and the 404HD sharing the same circuit design. The external power supply for the 404HD is only needed if you are running more than 2x mics with phantom power or have a laptop with a tight USB power budget. I use a 404HD with a Macbook Pro and a stereo mic array without the external power supply and I've never had a problem.

Ken
Felonious Punk

Post by Felonious Punk »

I had honestly forgot that UMC404HD even came with an external power supply. I have always driven it with USB.

i came to the 404HD after another big name interface crapped the bed when I inserted a faulty mic cable into it. It was one week out of warranty and at the time they wanted 80 bucks to repair plus I had to pay to ship it to them. I spotted the Behringer for just a few buck more than the cost of the repair and never looked back. The other device is now a doorstop and I think the Behringer was an upgrade at this point.

FP
Fingerpickingood

Post by Fingerpickingood »

I found it overall quite good apart from a couple things. I get some clicks with it sometimes, and it doesn't appear to be anything to do with buffers, or clipping. Also, it gives me headaches with letting me use audio in other programs. Like I can't have my DAW open and use Musescore at the same time. The interface only likes being used for one thing at a time. Even the multiple outputs don't help. If I could set musescore to outputs B, and switch with the A/B button, that would be alright, but I can't do that. So, musescore has to have no sound for me, which is a major bummer.
Eamoex

Post by Eamoex »

Yeah, well... I'm not that happy with this thing. Check my thread.
bryl3

Post by bryl3 »

kmitchell wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:00 pm The low output is a result of the 202HD and 204HD being USB powered and the 404HD sharing the same circuit design. The external power supply for the 404HD is only needed if you are running more than 2x mics with phantom power or have a laptop with a tight USB power budget. I use a 404HD with a Macbook Pro and a stereo mic array without the external power supply and I've never had a problem.

Ken
Hi ken,

I only knew about this information now. Should I be worried if I have used the power supply often even when I'm not recording? I'm worried that I might have destroyed my interface because I've connected the power supply even when I'm just using a dynamic mic.

Return to “Audio Interfaces”