bus to bus routing, and an EQ question/suggestion

Behringer WING Consoles
DaveT

bus to bus routing, and an EQ question/suggestion

Post by DaveT »

Maybe it can't be done or maybe I have missed a setting somewhere - are we restricted to only being able to route buses to bus sends 1-8 & matrix? im looking to route an fx on bus 16 to a monitor on bus 12, but can't get the option to do it.

As for the EQ section of the channels, it would have been nice if the eq band type would have been selectable on one of the spare knobs at the bottom of the screen. bit of a pain to have to go into menus to change them, and would have been nice to see the VEQ on the wing that the X/M32 had.

Thanks

Dave
pmaillot

Re: bus to bus routing, and an EQ question/suggestion

Post by pmaillot »

As far as I can tell, Bus sends is only to bus 1..8 and Matrix 1..8

To route bus 16 audio to 'bus 12', you could use a Mtx out instead for your monitor and route bus 16 and bus 12 to it.

As to selecting EQ bands, I just click on the circle for that band and then use the knobs at the bottom of the screen
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Yeah, I use the knobs at the bottom after clicking the circle for the band, but to change the PEQ to low shelf etc, they could have had it on a knob as well for easier selection like the X32 has - just an idea lol
GvGLLC

Post by GvGLLC »

Hi there!
I learned an option for the bus issue. Coming from X32, I’m used to FX returns as their own channels. I would send those return Channels to monitors when needed. As I’m sure you know, The Wing defaults to using FX on the Bus channel as an in line plugin, returning on its own channel with the effect- rather than on a separate return channel. However, with the Wings ridiculous touting options, you can use ANY Chanel as a “return” for that bus by changing its source to the bus with the FX. This of course sacrifices a channel you may otherwise want to use… but you will be able to send that channel to any bus. If you have room, I recommend using the aux channels as returns. Hope that helps.
thegeorgedougherty

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

GvGLLC wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:12 am I learned an option for the bus issue. Coming from X32, I’m used to FX returns as their own channels. I would send those return Channels to monitors when needed. As I’m sure you know, The Wing defaults to using FX on the Bus channel as an in line plugin, returning on its own channel with the effect- rather than on a separate return channel. However, with the Wings ridiculous touting options, you can use ANY Chanel as a “return” for that bus by changing its source to the bus with the FX. This of course sacrifices a channel you may otherwise want to use… but you will be able to send that channel to any bus. If you have room, I recommend using the aux channels as returns. Hope that helps.
This is what I do. I actually use the auxes to break a single bus send for Lead Fx into multiple Fx types I blend live to create the results I want for any given song. Usually I have a plate, hall, echo delay and slap delay on auxes. I only burn 4 buses as fx sends that way for lead, bg vox, instruments and drums.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

I had no idea the WING didn't have dedicated effects returns.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

When doing live sound I like to be able to quickly change the effects, mostly the vocal reverbs, with the control at my fingertips. I usually have that functionality assigned to a DCA. I also change reverb delay time to match the pace and style of the song. I usually assign the delay time to a user control knob to it is easily accessible.

I have set up the Mains section (4 faders) to be the effects master sends by inserting an effect there. I then return that to Aux inputs 5-8. So I can mix/send the effects to wherever I want them.

I always use the Matrix sends for the House speaker sends no matter what kind of show I am doing. So the 4 Mains are something I wouldn’t be using anyway. And I always use a DCA as my master that is usually controlling the Mix Bus(es) that I am usually using as variable sub groups.

In some of the Yamaha digital mixer training classes I have been to they used to say – the one thing so great about a digital mixer is you can do so much with it and the one thing so bad about a digital mixer is you can do so much with it. Because of how much you can do and the different way you can do things, I find that this sometimes seems to confuse people who may have never worked with analog mixers and have gone straight to digital. You can usually tell that in the questions that they ask.

Regarding effects I usually roll off some of the lows and highs and also compress the feed to the effect. I find to me that EQ makes it sounds more natural. And with the compression it enables me to drive it hard enough to hear it more at the lower levels but then not got to be too much reverb when the singer starts to really belt it out. When checking out the reverb effects on the WING I was jumping back and forth to different reverbs and different times and I found I really liked the vocal reverb when I had 2 different ones in play at the same time on the same source.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@KMaxwell Nice Kevin. You should write up a detailed "How To" for the Wing! Your approach has a little old school and a little new school nicely rolled up in one. This beast Wing has so much power and has so many ways to get things done, hearing how different people use it is always interesting to me.
thegeorgedougherty

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

KMaxwell wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:51 pm I have set up the Mains section (4 faders) to be the effects master sends by inserting an effect there. I then return that to Aux inputs 5-8. So I can mix/send the effects to wherever I want them.

I always use the Matrix sends for the House speaker sends no matter what kind of show I am doing. So the 4 Mains are something I wouldn’t be using anyway. And I always use a DCA as my master that is usually controlling the Mix Bus(es) that I am usually using as variable sub groups.
When I've absolutely needed the buses, I've used mains for fx's but I prefer having a master stereo mix I can quickly route anywhere through the matrixes instead of having to go back to multiple mixes to control routing into a different matrix. Since much of what I'm doing requires a broadcast mix, my standard Mains setup is L/R Master, Subs, Room Only, Broadcast Only. I keep the last 4 mixbuses as my Fx Sends. Instrument and Drum Reverbs I pass straight to the mains instead of returning to an aux. In many cases I don't need more than 8 monitor mixes so that still leaves 4 mixbuses for subgroups.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

That’s what is so nice about digital consoles, especially the WING. We can each set it up to work the way we want it to work.

I am working right now on setting up a Snap for a WING that we will be putting in a church to replace their X32. The X32 and some other gear will be moved to a satellite church that they are building out the configuration of that place at the moment. Where the WING is being installed they also have an X32Rack that is used as the IEM mixer. I am changing some of the configuration of the basic layout to make the WING work for them.

Return to “WING Consoles”