WING and P16?

Behringer WING Consoles
KMaxwell

WING and P16?

Post by KMaxwell »

WING and P16?

If I understand it correctly since the WING doesn’t specifically have Ultranet the way you set it up to feed the P16 is you assign what you want to feed them to the AES50 Output Group channels 33-48. If you are assigning from the Source Group AES50a is that taking those inputs before any processing or should I say where is the Tap Point? Is it before or after the gain? And where is the tap point if you are feeding any of them from Source Group Bus? Is the Source Group User signal to be used if you want it to be after the processing?

So if you have 2 different stage boxes one on AES50a and one on AES50b feeding different P16 can you set up the 33-48 on each of those on the WING to send different things to them?
GaryH

Re: WING and P16?

Post by GaryH »

Yes, you will first need a stage box that can send ultranet, an SD8/16, S16/32, DL16/32 as they output those very specific ch's via their ultranet ports. That's the reason those aes50 ch's work at all on a Wing, that is, the stagebox ultranet ports are FIXED to output just aes50 33-48. That will include gain, polarity and mute on a Wing but be pre everything else unless you use the user ch's source group afaik. That said a P16M has 3 band eq and ample volume options so it's probably ok without the user group and maybe even preferable so users can adjust things to their own taste. Also since the wing doesn't use groups of 8 you could intersperse user ch's with non user ch's freely in aes50 making the assignments pretty powerful as is. Maybe ch processing is only key for certain ch's and not such a big deal for others, lets those 24 user ch's maybe have more bite than their numbers alone might suggest. I would love to see them add more user ch's but it may not be possible with dsp limits. Every once in a while I ask for them just in case :-). Yes each aes50 port can assign different things to aes50 ch's 33-48. You could also add a P16i with the S/DL 16/32 and get use of all the adat out port ch's (aes50 17-32) for even more options.
thegeorgedougherty

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

I went full-on with the user channels since in my scenario I don't use them for recording or anything else. I've trained my crew that user1-16 are for P16 assignment. Those stay permanently assigned to AES5033-48 so you don't have to jump back and forth to control the P16 routing.

I almost always want the FOH EQ to flow to P16 and the default tap point is post-eq, pre-comp. Pulling from user channels for P16's rather than direct sources makes total sense to me. You also have the ability to pull a mono mix of a stereo source on User Channels, where direct routing to AES50 forces only one stereo side.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

Can I thread drift in my own thread?

I got some of the P16s working just fine thru the SD16 (from AES50c on the WING) and some others working out of the DL32 (from AES50a on the WING). So I am all good there.

The church I have been setting this system up in is owned by church (A) they let another church (B) use the building and some of the sound system but church (B) keeps on messing up things by changing where things are plugged in and not putting it back the way it was.

So since they don’t use many inputs it was decided to let them use one of the old SD16 stage boxes. There is a Snapshot on the WING for them to use (with a very limited and simple layout) and a tech from Church (A) recalls Church (B) Snapshot before leaving on Sunday morning and Church (B) comes in in the afternoon. Well we set it up and tested it the other day and only inputs 1&2 seemed to work properly on the SD16. All of the other inputs seem to be really low in level. I patched the inputs to channel 1 one at a time to make sure there wasn’t another issue. And made sure the gain and trim were set the same way. It had been sitting on the floor with the connectors facing straight up. I turned it connectors down and tapped it to see if anything came out of the connectors and some dust and residue did come out. I then tried vacuuming it out and that didn’t seem to help.

So I brought the SD16 home and checked it here hooked it up to the WING and ran some more tests. One of them being I set the WING up with 16 channels all with Phantom power on. Inputs 1-16 coming from the SD16 over AES50c to the WING and I used the Rat Sniffer and plugged that into the SD16 input jacks one at a time and it indicated that the connection was good on all of the inputs. I even just tried the ¼ part of the combo jack and 1&2 &16 sound fine the others are lower in volume and missing the higher frequencies. I assume it is way out of warranty, they said it was purchased in 2017, so I am probably going to open it up and see if there is anything obviously wrong with it.

Has anyone else on here experienced a similar problem with an SD16?
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

@KMaxwell, I've had my SD16 for about 6 years now and have not had problems as you described. The only problem I ever had with it (shortly after I got it) was at an outdoor event, where we got hit with driving rain 4 times during setup and soundcheck. The end result was the SD16 showing signals on inputs with nothing connected. I ended up configuring my second X32 Rack as an S16 and replacing the SD16 for the show. Afterwards I let it dry out and used it for the next show without any issues.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@KMaxwell You checked firmware on it? I believe there was at least one or two in the last several years. Outside chance it's that.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

pvannatto wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:53 pm @KMaxwell, I've had my SD16 for about 6 years now and have not had problems as you described. The only problem I ever had with it (shortly after I got it) was at an outdoor event, where we got hit with driving rain 4 times during setup and soundcheck. The end result was the SD16 showing signals on inputs with nothing connected. I ended up configuring my second X32 Rack as an S16 and replacing the SD16 for the show. Afterwards I let it dry out and used it for the next show without any issues.
So I should leave it out in the rain and then drain it and let it dry? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding!
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

GaryH wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:41 pm @KMaxwell You checked firmware on it? I believe there was at least one or two in the last several years. Outside chance it's that.
I remember up dating firmware in some thing there but I don't remember if it was the 2 that they have or when that would have been. I think I forgot to add that they had a second one that we were going to use in a satellite church that they are configuring a space for as we speak.So we used that one for now. I forgot how to check the firmware on the SD16 I know it has to do with hooking it up to the USB on a PC. Do you have a write up for that? I searched earlier on here for that and I think I missed it somehow.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

The second one works just fine (and they both should be on the same firmware) so unless this one had the firmware corrupted in it somehow I don't think it would be an old version of the firmware. but I am willing to up date it and I see the instructions for that in the release notes but if there is a way to tell what it has in it now I would like to see that before I update or reinstall the firmware
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

KMaxwell wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:33 pm So I should leave it out in the rain and then drain it and let it dry? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding!
You know the old saying "rince and repeat" :D
Regarding the firmware question, there was one update that I remember. Most of the changes involved the DP48 setup transfer, IIRC. But it wouldn't hurt to update anyways. The current firmware is pretty solid.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator

Return to “WING Consoles”