SD8 and SD16

DaveT

SD8 and SD16

Post by DaveT »

Am I the only one that thinks putting the AES and power sockets on the sides instead of the back was a stupid idea? once they are racked its a nightmare to get to them to plug and unplug cables, and to be able to see the switch for output allocation, never mind knowing if your in AES A or AES B? Even using it on is own without a rack means cable management on stage becomes crazy as well, as you need cables coming into it from both side for power and then AES.

Just my 2 cents on them
pmaillot

Re: SD8 and SD16

Post by pmaillot »

They are obviously not meant to be mounted in racks, unlike their rackable equivalents (S16 for example), but rather are to be used as plug and sit on the ground boxes, directed at small venues.

just my $.02
-Patrick
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

I agree with @pmaillot. I have two SD8 and an SD16 that I use all the time (when using X32 Rack or Wing) and love them. They either sit with the jack face at the top or in a couple of 3D printed feet that rotates them so that the jack face is 30 degrees from the stage floor. Having the jacks at the back of the box would not work for me. Regarding the cable management issue, I'm really fussy about avoiding the cable spaghetti and I don't find that an issue with these stageboxes. (my 2 nickels).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Off Topic
pvannatto wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:23 am(my 2 nickels)
Canadian exchange rate?
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
Every possible way to contact me: https://MySlink.app/mjklein
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Lol...
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

MJKlein wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:03 pm
Off Topic
pvannatto wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:23 am(my 2 nickels)
Canadian exchange rate?
Yup and we no longer have any cents (and our govt doesn't have any sense either).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

My mate ordered in the SD16 a few weeks ago for his X32 as a stage box, and went for the SD16 rather than S16 on my advice, so he had the extra benefit of the 1/4"XLR combis rather than having to issue DI boxes to every gig, as we both racked it up then went to plug in the Cat 5 and power, we both said at the same time that it was a stupid idea for it to be on the side as once its racked, its a nightmare to feel that the cable is going into the correct AES. The other issue we hit was we didnt want outputs on 1to 8 but 9 to 16 so once again a nightmare to see it. ive got an sd8 on its way just to give me more ip and op on the wing for smaller gigs to save dragging the stage box racks with me. Im going to rack the SD8 as its primary function will also be for a couple of wireless in ear monitors, and a couple of radio mics, which will all live in the one rack with it. ive ordered up some panel mount Ethercons with pass through, and a couple of short patching cable (all shielded of course) and im going to drill the 19" plates that come with the unit to fit them so I have AES A and B available out front. I have also purchased some IEC bulkheads and will hardwire it to a hidden distribution extension in the rack to feed the power to everything. Pictures when it all arrives and I get it built to follow :) I may drill the ether cons and IEC into the rack case wood instead and leave the front metal panels intact. will decide once I get it all delivered.

Return to “Stageboxes”