P-16M Volume multiple users

P16 personal mixing eco-system
pitoniakd

P-16M Volume multiple users

Post by pitoniakd »

Our church has a Behringer XR18 feeding a P-16D switch, which connects to (5) P-16M monitors. This is a new setup for the monitors.
I'm having volume issues with all of them. I have ensured the main volume on each box is maxed out as well as the overall gain and individual channel volumes. Most of the team can barely hear anything coming out.
Is there a way to boost the overall Ultranet volume output from the XR18?

Appreciate any help or ideas. We just spent about $2700 to install these monitors and first results are not encouraging.
pvannatto

Re: P-16M Volume multiple users

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @pitoniakd, welcome to the forum. In all likelyhood, the limiter control (top right knob) is turned down. Rotate it clockwise to raise the limiter threshold, thus increasing the max volume. Anytime one of our musicians at my church complains that his/her volume is not enough, it is 99% the limiter setting.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

There is a third volume level on the P16M often overlooked, see pic below, the shown red "main" button and the level knob to adjust it (also in red) The "Main" level effects all 16 ch's. So 1) each ch along the bottom can be adjusted, 2) the "main" select button adjusts with the same knob as the ch's. 3) the upper right side "level" knob is the master overall. Yes as @pvannatto said the limiter could also be in play. These units can be VERY loud.
pitoniakd

Post by pitoniakd »

Thank you for the suggestions. I think we looked at most of those settings, but I'm going to double check each box tonight.
I'm assuming there is no way to globally increase the output volume at the XR18 to the Ultranet output?

Strangely, but I'm sure not connected to this, our Live stream out put going out an Aux I/O port is very low as well. That's been an issue since we first got the box about a year ago. I have yet to figure that out. We just have the Aux port mapped to the Mains output.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Gary and I were assuming that proper levels were being sent to the P16 via Ultranet. If you are sending low signals, nothing done on the P16 will help. Make sure you have good levels (bouncing in the yellow) through the signal chain to the Ultranet outputs. And check the routing assignments to the Ultranet. If all of the levels are correct and it is too loud in the auditorium, turn the amps down.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
pitoniakd

Post by pitoniakd »

Thank you for that information.
Sorry for my ignorance here, but I think you may be saying I need turn the gain up on individual inputs to the XR18 and the overall output to the Mains down to compensate? This would in turn have the effect of increasing the output to the Aux channels and Ultranet? Perhaps I'm overcompensating for low inputs with the main amps.

Our Ultranet is just mapped to the default 1 for 1 to the 16 inputs for Input +Mute.

Appreciate the time and education!
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

That is possible, you can change your P16 tap point too and get the added octane from the post fader tap. If all else is working well in your system, rather than change everything, I would first check all 3 P16M volume level options. I can assure you these things can get very very loud so unless your gains are very very low, you should have plenty. They put that limiter in so as to not cause ear damage from excessive volume. Somewhere in all these options, you should find a fix.
pitoniakd

Post by pitoniakd »

Appreciate all the help on this. When I went back and investigated, we were indeed very low on our inputs. We went ahead and moved all of our Inputs up and the monitors are now working. Our overall sound also appears to have improved. And yes, we turned the amp to the mains down as well. Thank you for the help!

Return to “P16 Mixers”