Wing ... what happened with the LCR capabilities we had on X32 ?

Behringer WING Consoles
richard lussier

Wing ... what happened with the LCR capabilities we had on X32 ?

Post by richard lussier »

I am using a center cluster, plus left and right speakers.
On the X32, there was a way to have a center output for the center cluster that was not the sum of the left and right outputs.
Is there any way to do this with the Wing ?

Thank you
pvannatto

Re: Wing ... what happened with the LCR capabilities we had on X32 ?

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @richard lussier, welcome to our forum. As I mentioned on the official forum, I don't think it is possible to emulate the LCR (on the X32) on the Wing, due to its design. Maybe someone else can think of a workaround.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
richard lussier

Thank you Paul.
What would be the best procedure to propose a feature request to Behringer technical crew ?
I am really sorry that they dropped that one !!!
Thanks
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @richard lussier, since I'm a beta tester for them, I can make the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be any firmware updates in the near future. And I'm not sure if it is possible to add LCR to the Wing, due to its design (which is very different than the X32).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

@richard lussier, I just submitted the request and asked if it is possible.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
thegeorgedougherty

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

pvannatto wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:59 pm Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be any firmware updates in the near future.
Are they just slowing development, shorthanded or just considering the software at a stable point and focusing development efforts elsewhere?
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

thegeorgedougherty wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:50 pm Are they just slowing development, shorthanded or just considering the software at a stable point and focusing development efforts elsewhere?
My understanding is that the chip-set shortage workaround (retrofitting different chip-sets and the subsequent programming) and new products (eg. synthesizers) are taking a lot of the developers time and effort.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
richard lussier

pvannatto wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:33 pm @richard lussier, I just submitted the request and asked if it is possible.
Thank you Paul.
I wonder why the removed it, a mono send is such usefull on live gigs...
They added M-S on inputs, and not many M-S sources exist, not many microphones, but I like it, as i'm using Zoom devices often.
We will see when China will start production at a normal pace again....
I'm patient, started with 4 input Ampex mixers, and Chilton boards !!! Another era...
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

richard lussier wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:27 pm I wonder why the removed it, a mono send is such usefull on live gigs...
It was never removed. Please understand that the X32 is mono by design. All channel strips, buses, and matrixes are mono in nature. If you want stereo, you have to stereo link these. The Wing on the other hand is stereo by design. Each channel strip can be assigned a mono or stereo input source and each bus, matrix and Main are by default stereo or can be configured as mono (on the second screen to the right above the Invert).

LCR is a unique mono mix that provides a mix that follow the stereo pans. That is a special design that would have to be added to a stereo designed console. The developers are aware of this feature request. Whether they implement will be determined. I used this feature once and to be honest, wasn't that pleased with the results. Since then, I configure my centerfill as either a mono mix of the Main LR or as aux fed (vocals only), depending on the venue.
They added M-S on inputs, and not many M-S sources exist, not many microphones, but I like it, as i'm using Zoom devices often.
Mid-side (M-S) is a unique stereo feature that typically uses a figure 8 pattern mic (such as a ribbon mic) and a pencil condenser mic to adjust the stereo width using cancellation between the 2 mics. So instead of having to use 3 channel strips, it can be done with one. I've used this feature on a conga set (for a Santana tribute band) and acoustic guitar. It works great on the Wing, when you need that feature.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
richard lussier

It has to be understood what is a LCR send. The L is whatever is exclusive to the left channel, The R is whatever is exclusive to the right channel. The C is what is common to both L and R channel. You can build a LCR output from a Main LR bus, and this is the way it's done, I think, with the X32. C is not a sum of L+R. Has nothing to do really with the fact that the channel is mono, or stereo. Both these channels can be panned anyways.

I have used M-S for 40 years, and I love the way you can pull and push the width of the signals, and I personally find it more coherent then X/Y, A/B, or ORTF, because L and R share a same source that is the MID. But it is not a very common technique, thow it was there for years. If I am not mistaking, this is the only mixer that offres this feature built-in, not that it is not easy to reproduce with any kind of mixer, with a little more work.
I like it ...

Return to “WING Consoles”