Fiber Fun

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
GaryH

Re: Fiber Fun

Post by GaryH »

@curtbl Very cool stuff! I wondered what happened to you but kind of figured it was something like you said! I keep myself amused. Retirement is a different animal in and of itself for sure. I don't know how I ever used to have time for anything, especially work. Constantly busy doing something and glad for it. I'll be picking your brain with this business for sure and glad to hear you are well!! When people drop away for a bit, in these strange times, it is always in the back of your head that that something ominous could have been afoot. Glad its not in this case!!
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

@GaryH Thanks for the concern...... It's been a crazy time, and that's not including the insanity going on in the world. Lost a very close child hood friend and another family member (nephew), non related to covid, guess that's good but still tough time.

Messed around with SonoBus, very interesting, cannot get it to interface with Dante Virtual Sound Card either ASIO or WDM. Also fighting getting it past my firewall, well fighting not so much, just need time to correctly setup the firewall. Sonic wall is not as easily setup for port forwarding as a simple netgear or other amazon purchase. Anyway, the quality on my internal network was impressive. Would be great if I could interface with DVS.
Be well!
Curt
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

As someone who spent their entire career working in telecoms I'd recommend that you keep something like this

One Click In your kit bag.

I'm also curious where you get the 2/3 speed of light from, it's 3/3 the speed of light with a bit of switch latency added on :D

Craig
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@CraigG I think I got that 2/3 business from a webinar I attended on fiber optic cables/switches etc. It was stated in there by fthe presenter at one point. What do I know! I sure wanted to say "at the speed of light" and leave out 2/3 :-) Sure sounds way cooler-and faster. I will check out that tool, thx.
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Well I've never measured it but it seems logical that light travels at the speed of light :D

Craig
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@CraigG

The typical index of refraction of optical fiber is ~ 1.46 so the speed of light in the fiber is about 2/3 the speed of light in a vacuum.
FOA Fiber U Self Study - Fiber Optic MiniCourse - Reading An OTDR Trace
fiberu.org/OTDR_Trace/distance_scale.html\

there it is :-)
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Damn you got me :D
Either way, if it doesn't matter when you're sending 400G bits over 100 miles it doesn't matter when you're sending monitors back to the stage :-)

Craig
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

It is indeed amazing stuff. I am yet just a rookie, but having fun learning about all of it.
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

If you really want to blow your mind, read up on DWDM systems!

Craig

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”