'width' in full parametric EQ mode

The new Flow8 digital console
rogovath

'width' in full parametric EQ mode

Post by rogovath »

Hi,
I have a question and I wonder if anyone has an answer to it :-)
First, is there a more elaborate manual for the Flow 8 except for the quick guide?
Second, I use the Flow in live mixing situations, and I want to use the full parametric EQ to prevent feedback on certain frequenties, on certain channels.
Now I wonder what the 'width' (the middle green knob) does exactly. Is this the same as the 'Q' in for example the XAir and X32 apps? Does this mean that the higher the number, the smaller the range is (which is the case with 'Q')? What is the standard number to put the width on here?
It is a bit unclear to me because of the lack of a clear picture like with the XAir-series.
I hope someone can shed some light on this :-)
All the best,
Erik
kgallen

Re: 'width' in full parametric EQ mode

Post by kgallen »

Hi,

The only documentation I'm aware of is the QSG - or anything you can find on the Behringer product page: https://www.behringer.com/product.html? ... PCxlFB0sbE

Regarding the "Width", the Parametric EQ was introduced in v11739 (https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download ... V11739.pdf) but the relationship between this mythical "Width" control and Q is not documented in the Release Notes. Since the app gui doesn't give us a bell curve in parametric mode we can't tell from that either.

So... good question, but I don't know the answer, sorry. But I'm also interested in what the answer is. I guess we could play about with the "Width" setting, maybe with some pink or white noise through the Flow8, although I'm not in a position to try that at the moment.

Possibly @pvannatto could get some insider information from Music Tribe on this control?
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @rogovath, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I don't have a Flow 8. But I'll see what I can find out.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
WReed82

Post by WReed82 »

Hi Erik,

Filter Q on the Flow 8 is likely similar to other parametrics.
A Q of 1 is commonly about the same as the width of the filters on a standard graphic equalizer.
Going smaller than 1, the filter is wider, and can be good for a broad boost.
Going above 1, the filter width is narrower. Usually around 10 is pretty narrow, and if you go still narrower, the frequency of interest might change due to temperature changes and then your filter might be off the mark.

Thanks and good health, Weogo
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

@rogovath, I just got a response from the developers. Yes the Flow 8 "width" is the frquency Q and functions in the same manner as with the X32, X-Air, etc. It has a range of 0-20, with the PEQ Q default as 0.8. The bigger the number, the tighter the range.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
kgallen

Post by kgallen »

Fantastic, cheers @pvannatto !
rogovath

Post by rogovath »

@pvannatto and @WReed82 sorry for responding not earlier to your answers on my post! Thank you very much for explaining/finding this out, it helps a lot :-)
Last edited by rogovath on Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Flow8”