Driving a 70-volt system with a Behringer amp (PMP1680S)

This forum is open to general topics. Please keep the conversations clean and nonconfrontational.
glowplug

Driving a 70-volt system with a Behringer amp (PMP1680S)

Post by glowplug »

Hi,

I'm working on a 70-volt system for a restaurant/bar setting. Speakers are Rockville WET-6W. I know that there are dedicated 70-volt amps (i.e. from Rockville) but they tend to be simplistic and have limited inputs and mixing capabilities.

I believe that a Behringer PMP1680S should be able to directly drive the 70-volt system. I've done the math and the 10 speakers in parallel on the 70-volt line will present an impedance of 50 ohms. At 800 watts for one channel the PMP1680S should have plenty of juice to drive the 70-volt line to at least 50-60 volts. (More if I bridge to mono). What I gather from reading about 70-volt systems is that some amps do not take kindly to driving an inductive load (which the transformer is.)

So my question is pretty simple, has anyone ever tried driving a 70-volt system from (any) Behringer amp?

thanks!
pvannatto

Re: Driving a 70-volt system with a Behringer amp (PMP1680S)

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @glowplug, welcome to the forum. The only experience I've had interfacing a standard mixer with a 70V speaker system is with using a 8 ohm to 70V transformer in between the mixer output and the 70V speakers.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
glowplug

Post by glowplug »

Thanks @pvannatto

Driving the line with a transformer at the amp is also what I am used to, but I've read on various forums about people about driving the 70-volt line directly with a sufficiently large enough amp. I'm going to give it a try with this PMP1680S.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

As you know, the whole point of the 70 volt system is to reduce the current in the wiring in the walls. Its better to use the transformer to reduce liability.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge

Return to “General Chat”