Hello everyone!

Tell us about yourself.
G-Rad

Hello everyone!

Post by G-Rad »

Hey everyone. I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Gerad Deuvall. I'm a new member here, but have been working, with a friend of mine, on a program that will make Behringer digital mixers accessible for the blind and visually impaired. As of current, I have successfully done this with the XR18 stage box mixers and have a template I've been working on for the X32. My friend has been helping me with application development, and I"ve been doing the XML work, basically making the application wok with the devices. Anyways, being new here, I wanted to reacdh out and let everyone know what was going on, but I don't want to overwhelm anyone.

A quick summary:
This aplication will provide speech and braille feedbackm on Windows using NVDA and Narrator, and unsuccessfully tested with Jaws. It also works under Wine/Linux and has not been tested on Apple/Wine, however official apple support has not been looked into.

This program works simply in the form of a folder tree with commands laid out within each page that responds to the consels and stage boxes.

For XR18, I have it 100% working, including saving and loading scenes, custom presets, and entire sections of the layout. The presets are native to the application but can easily be adapted from the initial layout.

For the X32, I don't have meters and some detailed controls such as internal scene/preset/USB management. I don't own this console, however, I hope to soon, so I can implement these. XAir version is publicly released, but X32 is almost ready minus these above mentioned things.

currently, I"m implementing some shortcuts.

I hope to be able to connect with some people on here! Thank you for your time, sorry it was a boring long read, probably haha.
Don't be dumb, get you some!
My drum covers and Video game covers
My band, Lost in Nostalgia
GaryH

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by GaryH »

@G-Rad Welcome aboard! Sounds very interesting, I hope it all works out as you plan.
G-Rad

Post by G-Rad »

Thanks! I've been successful thus far.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Hello Gerad. I would like to warmly welcome you to the unofficial Behringer forums here at Behringer World. If there are any reasonable measures we could take to facilitate your use of the site, please don't hesitate to make them known. Additionally please let it be known that we also welcome any other blind or visually impaired Behringer users to the forum. This is a wonderful, world wide community and we're happy to have you with us, Gerad.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @G-Rad, I see you have already been warmly welcomed here. So I will also add my welcome to our forum here.

Just a bit of background about Gerad and his project, a couple of weeks ago Jim Noseworthy (remember Jim from the old MT forum?) contacted me to have a look at a new app for the blind community to control the X-Air consoles and wanted to know if this could be adapted to also control the X32.

As some may know, I've been working with Jim on developing apps for the blind community to use the X-Air and X32 for about 6 years now. These users rely on a screen reader app to read what is on their monitor and audibly read it to them. Unfortunately many apps, including the X-Air Edit, X32 Edit, Mixing Station, many of my apps and some of Patrick's apps use a graphics interface, which the screen reader cannot read. With this issue in mind, Jim and I developed MX-Terminal which uses a chat-like interface that allows the user to type in any OSC command and get a text-based response from the console. This has been quite successful and now there is a whole blind community that are now using these digital consoles we've all come to love.

Gerad and his friend have developed an OSC engine that reads an XML file to create an interface (with edit boxes, checkboxes, sliders, etc.) that is screen reader friendly. All a user (or developer) needs to do is to create the XML file with specifics of what they want to be included in the interface and the OSC commands for each control. It is actually quite an intriguing design. Once this is ready for public release, we will add it to the 3rd Party Software section of this forum.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
G-Rad

Post by G-Rad »

@pvannatto
A public release is available with the exception of meters. Yes, accessible meters. I don't own a console but I hope to procure one somehow some way so I can get meters working on it. There are so many other things I plan to implement but as for now, there is a stable public release. I also have XR18 and XR12 templates public with working meters. Please let me know what it is I need to do to help make this a thing.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hey @G-Rad, I just created a section called "Gerad's Apps Support" under the Software, 3rd Party Software for your apps. You can either create a new topic in that section to describe your apps, or let me know what you want there and I can add it.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

pvannatto wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:39 pm This has been quite successful and now there is a whole blind community that are now using these digital consoles we've all come to love.
That is absolutely fantastic. I worked with Ray Fournier years ago, and he had a box he would plug into audio sources. It would beep when it hit 0dB. It made a different sound for peak and RMS. Pretty cool.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
G-Rad

Post by G-Rad »

My Air Access projects have screen reader friendly meters that will give you accurate readings in DBFS on the fly. Unfortunately my MXAccess32 project does not, because I have no way of testing these, since I won't have one of these consoles. if I did, I'd be able to implement them, no problem.
rickyprevatte

Post by rickyprevatte »

I am totally blind and have purchased the X 32.
Very interested in what you guys are doing where do I need to go to download whatever you have created.
Then tell me how I might help you test anything and everything.
I am currently using this under the Mac platform. I could always fire up a Windows machine as well.

Return to “Introductions”