Abnormal Gain Noise - Inputs 3/4

The new Flow8 digital console
ngmoon101

Abnormal Gain Noise - Inputs 3/4

Post by ngmoon101 »

Has anyone else experienced abnormal gain noise on Channels 3 and 4? I noticed that on Channels 3 and 4 of my Flow 8 mixer that when the gain is set between +27db - +30db there is virtually no gain noise. But if the gain is set higher than +30db or lower than +27db there is significant noise introduced. Having noise introduced makes sense for things above +30db, but not for lower than the +27db. As soon as it hits 26 there is instant and very noticeable noise. I don't believe this should be standard behavior. I currently use this for live performances with a 4 piece band where everyone sings so I need to set the gains lower than 27 so I can prevent clipping. I'm curious to see if I got a bad unit or if I just have to deal with this gain noise. I setup a ticket with Music Tribe but wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks in advance.
Gre404

Re: Abnormal Gain Noise - Inputs 3/4

Post by Gre404 »

I'm having a noise problem but not so specific as yours. Did you get it solved? My noise seems to be hyper sensitivity to other AC devices in my setup. It exists even when I turn all levels down.
ngmoon101

Post by ngmoon101 »

I've been going back and forth with Behringer support for last couple of weeks. Here is the response I got today:
... a colleague has managed to get hold of a Flow 8 and test inputs 3 and 4 and can confirm that he is hearing the same noise as yourself. I am afraid that what you are experiencing is normal.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned it previously. Maybe no-one else is connecting microphones to those inputs or the gain on the microphones is lower and thus they are having to use more gain on the mic amp meaning the noise floor is lower.

I am sorry, but there is nothing else I can do. This ticket has been reported to the designers so If other customers start to raise the noise floor question, then it will be taken note of.
So I thought it was at least a step forward with another unit displaying the same behavior, so I pushed further, receiving this reply:
We were not able to test the Flow 8 in an operational situation, just on a workbench and they only confirmed what you had already mentioned.

Unfortunately the Design Team came back and advised that they do not need to make any design changes at the present time. They are very happy with the design and advise that the noise floor of the Flow 8 is very low as it is, and do not think that the gain section of inputs 3 and 4 needs to be investigated further.

If there were many users mentioning the issue, and that they could not use the mixer as is, then the Design Team would probably discuss the issue further, however as I previously mentioned, nobody else has raised the noise on channels 3 and 4 so for them it is not causing a problem and there are many hundreds if not thousands in the field.
So it looks like until people complain in numbers, they won't address the issue.

If you're seeing this post, please do a quick test for me and tell me your findings! And if you find the same thing, make sure to tell them!
Peter Z

Post by Peter Z »

Hi everyone!

I just registered here to comment the noise problem on channels 3&4.
My Flow 8 does the same, BUT if I play around with the gain setting (moving the channel fader while pressing ,main‘) the noise stops all of a sudden. So, if it is noisy at 26 db, play around between 25 and 28 till the noise stops. It takes just a second or two and it’s still ok after switching the mixer off and back on.

That might be the reason, why some hear it, some not. It’s just a bug. If my workaround does solve the problem every time, I‘m ok, otherwise the noise is a big problem.

Have a nice day
Peter
ngmoon101

Post by ngmoon101 »

Thanks for the reply Peter. Unfortunately your solution does not work for me. But I'll keep trying it, maybe one day it'll work. But definitely seems like something with the digital control for the gain. Hopefully firmware can fix it, but we shall see. I'm going to try and make a YT video to gain some traction for the problem. Will post back in this thread if I end up doing it!
Peter Z

Post by Peter Z »

I’m not on the latest firmware with my Flow, it’s one before. Don’t know which one because I’m not at home for the next days. Could you try another firmware version, if they are available. The mixer is totally new for me so I don’t even know if it’s possible to install and old version. Just an idea.
Peter Z

Post by Peter Z »

I met my Flow 8 again today and took a closer look at the noise problem. There definitely something wrong with channels 3&4.
The noose goes up till 27 db, then all of a sudden it goes down by a huge amount. I can reduce the gain to 26 db, but lower the noise is back again. Low noise means still more noise than channels 1&2, wich are dead quiet, but acceptable.

I hope there will be more action on this well organized forum after summertime. It seems, I‘m writing to myself but maybe it’s useful for some lurkers.

BTW, thanks to Paul for running this forum. We should take care of it, since most manufacturers close their fora to avoid unnecessary contact with clients after their purchases. :-)
therentabrain

Post by therentabrain »

I'm reading and I care. I think the Flow8 isn't as popular a mixer as it deserves to be; I'm not sure why that is. It's a really amazing tool for the price.

I haven't noticed the 3/4 noise but I have for sure noticed noise in general when using it with a DAW for recording. I was receiving a signal over Bluetooth from one of those new suitcase "Victrola" brand bluetooth portable turntables. I'm not sure if it was the sender or the receiver or both, but the noise floor was almost unacceptable, and I haven't noticed that problem when just listening to records on portable Bluetooth speakers. (It's far from high end audio, to be sure, but still.)

I think some noise was stil present to the DAW even with all the volumes turned off. This was months ago so I don't remember for sure.

I haven't figured out a pattern to when there is or isn't too much noise. It's good to read that it may be avoidable by playing with Gain controls etc.
retib

Post by retib »

Hi everyone!

Just to confirm, I experienced the same thing that is written in the first post, thank you for the investigation you did at Behringer support. I purchased my Flow 8 in September, you are not alone with this abnormality.

Return to “Flow8”