Power consumption.

The new Flow8 digital console
nwAU

Power consumption.

Post by nwAU »

I'm considering using a flow-8 in a mobile studio but wondering about power consumption. Rated at 10w, any ideas on normal idle power use when not using bt or phantom ?
kgallen

Re: Power consumption.

Post by kgallen »

Specifications table at the end of the QSG ways 10W max, 5W typical.

So "normal idle power use" => 5W.

5 watts is quite a lot of power to dissipate in such a small device. It will have a smallish DSP in it, but I wouldn't expect that to exceed about 1W, just from a heat dissipation point of view. There is no fan in the device.

Page 20.
https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download ... QSG_WW.pdf
nwAU

Post by nwAU »

👍
therentabrain

Post by therentabrain »

I saw this thread so I did a test with my Kill-a-Watt meter. When it started up, I saw it taking about 7.5 watts. Then it settled down to around 6.5.

I do have phantom power enabled on two channels. I imagine it might go down a bit if I turn those off. I mucked around with the control app and the sliders and it stayed at around 6.4-6.5 watts the whole time. I stopped there. Hope that's good info :)
nwAU

Post by nwAU »

therentabrain wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:22 am I saw this thread so I did a test with my Kill-a-Watt meter. When it started up, I saw it taking about 7.5 watts. Then it settled down to around 6.5.

I do have phantom power enabled on two channels. I imagine it might go down a bit if I turn those off. I mucked around with the control app and the sliders and it stayed at around 6.4-6.5 watts the whole time. I stopped there. Hope that's good info :)
Great info. I’d presume on a 12v system it would be even less as no power adapter required.
therentabrain

Post by therentabrain »

Maybe. We do know that there's a known problem where using a different power adapter works until you turn the levels up enough, and it'll stutter. So I'm guessing that fully loading it will drive it higher than the 7.5W I saw. Because apparently these weaker power supplies will work until then.

So I mean, it's worth experimenting with, but no guarantees until you get there I'd say.

Are you trying to run it off battery or a generator? I imagine you are hipper to this stuff than I, but what about an inverter? That would allow you to use the default supply. Or a UPS, which I guess is basically an inverter with its own battery.
Peter Z

Post by Peter Z »

The headphone amp uses quite a lot of power. When I power the Flow 8 with a Power bank, I have to dial the amp way back, otherwise the power cuts off on peaks.

Return to “Flow8”