Some help on routing X32 with S16

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
At0mx

Some help on routing X32 with S16

Post by At0mx »

Hello everyone,

Having recently installed a small stage for live shows, I have a little trouble configuring my X32 and S16 as I would like...

Here is a simplified schematic of my stage and gear:

My Behringer DCX2496 crossover is already set up for 100 hz Sub/Tops X-over (Butterworth 18 / BUT18).

So, from there, here are the main objectives:

As inputs / sources :
- Instruments / instrument mics / DJ (2x xlr) / PC (2x RCA) on the S16 stagebox => AES50 => X32
- Voice mic / PC (2x RCA) on the X32 directly

At for outputs :
- output from the S16 stagebox (AES50) => Behringer DCX2496 crossover => Nexo Amp => 2 tops (HK Audio F5 115) + 2 Subs (HK audio Sub 1200)
- output from the X32 => 3x "back of the room" monitors (HK audio L3 112 XA)

I want to be able to
a) control the whole = front of house (2x tops/subs) + back of house (3x monitor) with the Main L/R of the X32
b) individually control the front of house (2x tops/subs) and the back of house (3x monitor) for volume + EQ levels

So far I managed to route my mic (or any source) connected to the X32 so that it comes out from the outputs of the S16 stagebox but it's not controlled by the 2 Main L/R faders on the X32... it's controlled from the mixbus 1.

My main problem is the output routing of the X32.

Thanks for your help.
Plan de scene2.jpg
Last edited by At0mx on Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sound amateur and aficionado since 1997
KMaxwell

Re: Some help on routing X32 with S16

Post by KMaxwell »

If you attach your scene file here it makes it easier to look and see what might be wrong.
At0mx

Post by At0mx »

Thank you @KMaxwell, will do that as soon as I get my hands on the x32 again!
Last edited by At0mx on Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigf

Post by craigf »

Easy enough.

Re control:
Stereo link mtx1+2, send LR there post fader. With it stereo-linked it'll send L to mtx1 and R to mtx2. If you leave them as mono it'll crunch LR to mono and you'll effectively be running your PA as dual-mono instead of stereo.
Leave mtx3+4+5 as mono, send LR there post fader. Leaving them as mono means they'll crunch the stereo LR bus down to mono (assuming you want each of the monitors at BOH to be mono.)

As the LR>mtx sends are post fader, when you adjust the LR fader you'll adjust the level in all of them (FOH and BOH) simultaneously.

The mtxs have their own level control, mutes, and processing, so you can apply whatever eq\compression you want to them individually, and using the mxt faders you can control their levels individually. Ensure that the LR fader is up and unmuted, the LR>mtx sends are enabled and raised, the mtx faders are up and unmuted, and you should be passing audio.

AES50 connectivity: S16(A)>X32(B)

Leave the S16 in mode1.

Routing>Inputs

Inputs1-16: AES50B 1-16 (get you 16 signals from whatever is connected to the console's B socket: the S16. You'll probably need a couple of DIs\adapters if your PC is using RCA out, as the S16 doesn't have any RCA in.)
Inputs17-24: Local 1-8 (first 8 preamps of the console for your wireless mic receivers.)
AuxIn Remap: AuxIn 1-6 (the RCA inputs on the rear of the console are on Aux5+6. Probably worth stereo linking those channels, plus other DJ\PC channels as stereo.)

The reason things are being controlled by bus1 atm is because bus1 is what's routed to the S16's #1 XLR socket by default, which according to your diagram is what feeds your speaker mgmt.

Routing>Out1-16
Output1: Mtx1, Post Fader
Output2: Mtx2, Post Fader
Output3: Mtx3, Post Fader
Output4: Mtx4, Post Fader
Output5: Mtx5, Post Fader
^Note the move away from bus to mtx.

Routing>AES50B (Signals leaving the console on its B socket, which will hit the S16.)
Outputs1-8: Out1-8 (The above signals you just configured.)
^Should be default. Although you're sending all of your output signals to the S16, just use socket1+2 for mtx1+2 for FOH.

Routing>XLR out (signals leaving the console on its local XLR sockets)
Outputs1-4: Out1-4
Outputs5-8: Out5-8
^Should be the default. Although you're sending all of your output signals to the console's XLR outs, just use socket3-5 for mtx3-5 for BOH.

HTH

Edit: Are the monitors in the BOH intended as fills\delays? If so, and they don't have their own speaker management, you can dial in a line delay on the using the Routing>out1-16\out delay tab (depending on which firmware the X32 is running) to line them up with the FOH PA.

You can get a whole lot more sophisticated with the routing if you need to run stage monitors too, or you need to plug more sources into the console and don't like wasting preamps, especially if using v4+ of the firmware, but the above should be fine if all you need is what you've said, and you're running pretty much any version of firmware.
At0mx

Post by At0mx »

craigf wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:22 am

Routing>Out1-16
Output1: Mtx1, Post Fader
Output2: Mtx2, Post Fader
Output3: Mtx3, Post Fader
Output4: Mtx4, Post Fader
Output5: Mtx5, Post Fader
^Note the move away from bus to mtx.
Thank you very much @craigf

This is where I have trouble !

How to route matrixes on the outs, can you give some more details please?
We are talking XLR (analog) outs or Patch points?
craigf

Post by craigf »

The x32 has 2 stages to its output routing. One is "staging" a group of signals in a routing block, the other is dumping that block onto physical sockets, be they local to the console or a remote stagebox connected via AES50.

The "staging" of signals happens when you press the Routing button on the RHS of the screen and navigate to the out1-16\aux out\ultranet tabs. Here you can stage console-generated signals (DOs from individual channels with processing, outputs from buses\LR\mtxs) in blocks:
Routing>Out1-16 tab
Outputs1-8 gets referred to in the rest of the routing table as "out1-8"
Outputs 9-16 gets referred to in the rest of the routing table as "out 9-16"
^By default the signals staged in these blocks are bus + LR, useful for stage monitors and mains, which is why you only got an output from bus1 earlier. However you want to run mtxs, which is why they need to be changed away from buses to mtxs.

Routing>Aux Out tab
Outputs1-6 gets referred to in the rest of the routing table as AuxOut+M (6 aux outs + solo bus)

Routing>Ultranet tab
Outputs1-8 gets referred to in the rest of the routing table as "P16 1-8"
Outputs 9-16 gets referred to in the rest of the routing table as "P16 9-16"

Once you've staged whatever signals you want into those blocks, you can then dump those blocks onto the console's physical output sockets to get them out of the console to your stageboxes\amps.

Routing>AES50A
Dump a block here to have it leave the console on the console's AES50A socket. Useful if you have a stagebox connected to the console's A socket.

Routing>AES50B
Dump a block here to have it leave the console on the console's AES50B socket. Useful if you have a stagebox connected to the console's B socket.

Routing>XLR out
Dump a block here to have it leave the console on the console's local XLR sockets. Useful if you have a want to connect monitors directly to the console.

Routing>Card Out
Dump a block here to have it leave the console on the console's USB\Dante\MADI etc expansion card. Useful multitrack recording.

Note that the auxout and ultranet tabs are hard-patched to the console's TRS aux out and RJ45 ultranet sockets respectfully.

With your example, I staged the matrix outputs in the top half of the out1-16 tab (referred to in the rest of the routing table as "out1-8.") Then I dumped that "out1-8" block onto the console's AES50B socket so it would go to the S16 connected to the console's AES50B socket, so you can get mtx1+2 on S16 XLR#1+2. I also dumped the out1-8 block onto the console's XLR outs, so you can get mtx3-5 on the console's local XLR#3-5. Actually most of that was the default routing anyway, I just mentioned it in case you'd changed it.

In this example I dumped the same block in multiple output sockets for simplicity's sake, so outputs are duplicated on the S16 and the console's local XLR outputs. You can get more creative with the routing to get more unique outputs in more spots if required.

You can also route signals directly from an input to an output by dumping an input block directly onto an output socket, bypassing the console's channel processing (and the "staging" requirement) if you want, eg in a FOH\monitor\broadcast split.

V4+ of the firmware added the userIn and userOut tabs to the routing table, which makes it even more flexible.

HTH

PS, if you do have other output requirements, eg buses for monitors on stage, please let us know, as that might change the routing solution. My solution was based only on you needing FOH + 3 monitors at BOH and nothing else.
No_Season_5288

Post by No_Season_5288 »

craigf wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:28 pm
"In this example I dumped the same block in multiple output sockets for simplicity's sake, so outputs are duplicated on the S16 and the console's local XLR outputs. You can get more creative with the routing to get more unique outputs in more spots if required."
I am trying to do exactly that! I have been unable to get an X32 Compact to address each of the 8 local outputs and 8 outputs on an SD16 simultaneously. While I unfortunately do not have access to the board right now, this is what the User Out pages looks like on X32 Edit after having switched the SD16 to register its outputs as 9-16:

X32 Edit Output Routing

I was hoping that a second block of 8 outputs would populate but that hasn't occurred. Any insight would be so greatly appreciated!
craigf

Post by craigf »

All that picture shows is that you haven't set up anything in the UserOut section. It may or may not be relevant. We need to know if you're using A or B socket on the X32, and what's on the other routing screens (particularly the AES50 and XLR out screens.)

Upload your scene file so we can see what you've configured and we can make suggestions.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

@No_Season_5288, welcome to our forum. Here are the instructions how to export your scene and attach it to your next post.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
No_Season_5288

Post by No_Season_5288 »

@craigf and @pvannatto, thank you both so much for your replies! So, I was able to effect exactly what I was hoping for - I've attached the very minimal / basic scene file, and posted a screenshot of the Out 1-16 routing screen on X32 Edit. As the scene file will indicate, the SD16 is connected via AES50 A, and inputs 1-16 are local, 17-32 on the stage box

I was able to achieve what I wanted in spite of the fact that the warning that "These outputs are currently not connected to any physical output connector on this device" showed when I had the computer connected to the console - I found this perplexing, much as i found the fact that the only block of user outputs available was 1-8 (though, as @craigf pointed out, the user output page did not prove to relevant / necessary for my use case). I suppose that this warning is merely issued in error? Any clarification would be much appreciated.
Attachments
1-18-2024.scn
(64.89 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”