Tips For Making Ethercon Cables

CraigG

Tips For Making Ethercon Cables

Post by CraigG »

I've been making some new Ethercon cables and didn't get it right first time so here are my tips (as much to remind myself next time)
  • Use pass through/feed through screened RJ45 connectors they are so much easier to use.
  • After crimping use a cable tester before adding the shells.
  • Cut the RJ45 locking tab off short and check that it doesn't lock in the cable tester (They cause stuck Ethercons).
  • Assemble the bodies and check for continuity between shells.

Another useful tip is if you take one or two of these couplers,

And cut away half of the body shell,
You may need a dab of glue to keep the gray part in the remaining plastic body shell,

You can use it to test Ethercon cables without dismantling them.

I hope this helps somebody.
Craig
GaryH

Re: Tips For Making Ethercon Cables

Post by GaryH »

Hey Craig, curious of a few things (I’ve been making my own aes50 cables for quite a few years) What type Cat cable did you decide to use 5e, 6, 7 8? What make? How did you manage to secure your shields/ground wire to the rj45 case shield? That’s a cool idea for a tester! I use neutrik NE8ff’s with short sections of cable on the tester side. It works perfectly fine but it’s still a pain. I may try to make a few of yours! Imo, the pass through type rj45’s are the only way to go, I will never go back.
CraigG

Re: Tips For Making Ethercon Cables

Post by CraigG »

I use this external grade Cat6a
https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/search?con ... 0&s=010743

Ours is a mobile show so I like the ruggedised cable.

The plugs I'm using have a tiny tube that you pass the ground wire through and solder.

Craig

Return to “Stageboxes”