Can I use Headphones output as an STEREO extra monitor? [SOLVED]

M/X Air Digital Mixer Series
Chirro

Can I use Headphones output as an STEREO extra monitor? [SOLVED]

Post by Chirro »

I know that I can use an unused FX to send my channels, and I can turn on the SOLO button in the Master Bus of this FX to route to headphones out (Monitor), but if I do this, all the channels sound in MONO, not Stereo, all in the center, no PAN. I would like this to be Stereo.

I supposed that if the FX bus is stereo and the monitor/headphones out is also stereo probably there is a way to do it.

I'm able to SOLO a single channel and hear it in stereo, but no the FX bus.

Does anybody knows if this is possible?
Last edited by Chirro on Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
pvannatto

Re: Can I use Headphones output as an STEREO extra monitor?

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @Chirro, instead of soloing the Main LR, change the Phones assignment (on In/Out, Main LR screen) from Monitor to Main L/R). That will mean that you don't have to solo the Main LR to get it in the headphones, and it will be stereo.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Chirro

Post by Chirro »

Hi Paul Vannatto, thanks for your response.

I'm using my MIDAS MR18 mixer (only 6 aux outputs). The other day I had to mix one band that request me 7 independent monitor outputs. I was thinking of any way for using the headphones out as the seven monitor out.

I read in one place I can't remember that you can use one of your unused FX buses to get an extra aux mix, and then, route that FX bus to Monitor out (and exclude of Main LR) to be heard (only) by the headphones out. I did this and it's Ok, but I would like to be in stereo, not in mono. Although I have several channels paned in the Main mix, this way I hear all the channels in the center, all in mono, same signal in L and R.

If I solo a panned channel in my main mix, I also hear it panned in headphones, in stereo. I can do this with all the channels I need but this way I hear the levels of the main mix not the FX mix I did. I need an independent mix, this is the reason I'm trying to use an FX bus.

I supposed this to be possible but I don't know how to do it.

Thanks for your patience and please forgive my terrible English.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @Chirro, what you may have read somewhere may have been related to the X32/M32, since there is more flexibility with the routing, including with the monitor (solo) bus. The only routing available for the headphones (solo) in the X-Air/M-Air consoles is what I had recommended (In/Out, Main LR). Also the 4 FX sends/returns are hardwired/fixed and really are designed to be used as a monitor output. If you are frequently needing the 7th monitor, I would recommend you consider upgrading to an X32 Rack.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Chirro

Post by Chirro »

Hello. I’ve found a solution that works as I need in my MIDAS MR18.

My native language is Spanish so I will try to explain in English the best that I can. Please forgive my mistakes.

You have to sacrifice the SOLO button behaviour and 2 of the 4 FX buses, but you will get 8 (yes eight) real MONO aux mixes with physical outputs or 6 MONO and 1 STEREO monitor outs (what I want).

In a live mixing situation, I usually only use 1 FX as general Reverb and never SOLO any channel, so it’s Ok for me.

This guide is using the program Mixing Station, but you can get the same results in the MIDAS official program.

The first step is setting the monitor (headphones) output source from a pair of buses (for instance Bus 5/6) in Console Setup. This way you get an STEREO mix on your headphones or 2 separate MONO mixes (L and R).

The second step is routing 2 FX SEND buses to the physical Aux outputs 5 and 6 in Output Routing. I set FxSnd 3 to feed Aux Out 5 and FxSnd 4 to feed Aux Out 6.

Basically, that’s all. Anything you send to FX 3 will sound by physical Aux 5 out, anything you send to FX 4 will sound by physical Aux 6 out, anything you send to Bus 5/6 will sound in STEREO by physical Headphones out.

Things to consider:

1.- As I said before, you can’t use the SOLO button, also, you have only 2 FX for the mix.

2.- If you want to use an STEREO mix in your Headphones (good for inears) I recommend you to LINK buses 5 and 6. This way you get PAN in bus 5 and
you can place any channel in the stereo space, independent of the MAIN mix.

3.- You have to maintain FX RETURN faders (in FX 3 and FX 4) with NO level, or better, exclude from LR Main mix. This way, this monitor mixers don’t go out in Main mix.

4.- You have to change the way ALL channels feed FX 3 and FX 4. By default, every channel goes After Fader to every FX and PostEQ to the Aux buses. Change EVERY channel to PostEQ for feeding FX 3 and FX 4. This way the sending of those channels are not affected by Main mix fader levels.

5.- If you prefer 8 MONO monitors don’t link buses 5 and 6 and use a special cable to separate channels L and R from Headphones out.

6.- After doing all these things you can use LAYERS to rename, reorder and show/hide what you want. For instance, hiding FxSnd 2 and/or renaming FxSnd 3 to Mon 5, etc.

And remember, you always can save all this changes in a Scene.

If you need further explanations, please let me know it.
pvannatto

Re: Can I use Headphones output as an STEREO extra monitor? [SOLVED]

Post by pvannatto »

Thanks for documenting your solution @Chirro. If you don't mind, I'd like to add this to the Wiki when I get a chance. I'm currently on the road on my way to my son's place in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) and won't be able to do much until I get to my next hotel tonight.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Chirro

Re: Can I use Headphones output as an STEREO extra monitor? [SOLVED]

Post by Chirro »

pvannatto wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:08 pm Thanks for documenting your solution @Chirro. If you don't mind, I'd like to add this to the Wiki when I get a chance. I'm currently on the road on my way to my son's place in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) and won't be able to do much until I get to my next hotel tonight.
Of course, no problem. Good luck.

Return to “M/X-Air Digital Mixers”