Wing internal Dante Card install.

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
Roblof

Re: Wing internal Dante Card install.

Post by Roblof »

@GaryH , of course there is a way but given my official status I won’t post that way in public. Should you wan’t to, then you know how to reach me ;-)
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Assume you mean to flash the card? I get it. It's ok, I just like to banter about ideas, mostly doing just that! Somebody just sent me a B3 version of Yamaha ny64 which I will try. Curious if it will be any different, I suspect it will, I have my theories. Hope soon all this talk and under the table dante stuff will be "remember when" ancient history. Still having 2 different firmware flashes for the very same card in the same mixer is nuts, just can't see why they would bother or care. We'll talk :-)
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

GaryH wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:47 pm Assume you mean to flash the card? I get it. It's ok, I just like to banter about ideas, mostly doing just that! Somebody just sent me a B3 version of Yamaha ny64 which I will try. Curious if it will be any different, I suspect it will, I have my theories. Hope soon all this talk and under the table dante stuff will be "remember when" ancient history. Still having 2 different firmware flashes for the very same card in the same mixer is nuts, just can't see why they would bother or care. We'll talk :-)
Gary, I'll be interested if it works, have already tried two of them from different Yamaha's and they are locked ?? to yamaha's network use. They will find a default address but will not allow any other devices to be connected to the other port and pass a IP address. I have to assume that the network protocol for Yamaha is on the NY card and it passes Network addressing through to the Dante Card. Both mine were Rev B cards. Audinate indicates chip changes only so compatibility is functionally the same.
The Kevic 64x64 card I installed internal does in fact allow the Wing it's dhcp or static IP address and also passes the network address through the other port for my DAW PC. Only issue between this internal and the external Wing card would possibly be, and I haven't worked through the issues, can the internal card give me both Primary and Secondary where the External definitely will.

I must say having Dante internal, even if it primary only is a very positive thing..... I have noticed and will chat with Patrick about this that Patricks Automate will not start if I have DVS already running on the same machine. If I start Automate first DVS all works great. Waiting for the Behringer Card to see of there are other features included with the external card..... I do not expect any differences with the Dante features however what else will be possibly available as others have on their cards. For example if I have Shure Dante Wireless mics will I be able to control them from the console. .... Time will tell
Curt
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

curtbl wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:11 am I have noticed and will chat with Patrick about this that Patricks Automate will not start if I have DVS already running on the same machine. If I start Automate first DVS all works great.
Oh, that's very interesting. I've been using DVS with my X32 for about a year with AutoMate and no issues at all. I notice no interaction/dependency of either/or.

Glad to see you're using AutoMate for mixing on the WING!
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

Yea kind of strange.... Windows 10 and I havent checked the resources when I try and start Automate and DVS is already running. I'll look at that.
Hey MJ thanks for starting this forum, it's a lot of work and very appreciated. so much easier to deal with than MG forum.
Curt
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

curtbl wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:12 am Yea kind of strange.... Windows 10 and I havent checked the resources when I try and start Automate and DVS is already running. I'll look at that.
Hey MJ thanks for starting this forum, it's a lot of work and very appreciated. so much easier to deal with than MG forum.
Curt
Curt, you are quite welcome. I'm glad that it's being used and that people find it useful.

Could you elaborate a bit more about what happens when you start AutoMate with DVS running?

Edit: Nevermind. I see your post in the other forum. Thanks.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

curtbl wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:12 am Yea kind of strange.... Windows 10 and I havent checked the resources when I try and start Automate and DVS is already running. I'll look at that.
Curt
@curtbl Something I need to double check when DVS is running.... Does it prevent UDP broadcasting messages to attain WING? Is it a limitation of networking or is it *my* implementation of broadcasting that needs work?

In the meantime, run DVS after starting AutoMate SW [thanks! :)]

-Patrick
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

curtbl wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:11 am
GaryH wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:47 pm

Gary, I'll be interested if it works, have already tried two of them from different Yamaha's and they are locked ?? to yamaha's network use. They will find a default address but will not allow any other devices to be connected to the other port and pass a IP address. I have to assume that the network protocol for Yamaha is on the NY card and it passes Network addressing through to the Dante Card. Both mine were Rev B cards. Audinate indicates chip changes only so compatibility is functionally the same.
The Kevic 64x64 card I installed internal does in fact allow the Wing it's dhcp or static IP address and also passes the network address through the other port for my DAW PC. Only issue between this internal and the external Wing card would possibly be, and I haven't worked through the issues, can the internal card give me both Primary and Secondary where the External definitely will.

I must say having Dante internal, even if it primary only is a very positive thing..... I have noticed and will chat with Patrick about this that Patricks Automate will not start if I have DVS already running on the same machine. If I start Automate first DVS all works great. Waiting for the Behringer Card to see of there are other features included with the external card..... I do not expect any differences with the Dante features however what else will be possibly available as others have on their cards. For example if I have Shure Dante Wireless mics will I be able to control them from the console. .... Time will tell
Curt
Curt
@curtbl I just got the Yamaha Ny64 B3 version yesterday and tried it-and it did NOT work, exact same issue as the 4v1. Dante Controller will not recognize it on the Dante network. The Wing sees it just fine, it can be the Wing's Master clock, it can route Dante ch's and "Dante" is a recognized category in the routing pages. Without being recognized in Dante Controller however it is useless for the Wing as there can be no subscriptions, multicasts, naming etc etc etc to connect it to other Dante devices. So much for my B3 vrs 4v1 theory :-) If one could get a hold of the software and whatever program to flash the firmware, maybe any could then work. I don't see anyone sending that along to me anytime soon. I am kind of sure this would be a well kept guarded secret.

My internal card on the other hand, seems to be flawless. Whatever it can't do network wise, Is something I apparently don't use or don't need or have not yet thought of. The card using Dante Controller in device view/config can be set to either switched or redundant. I'm using it switched. I think maybe the unused control port of the Wing may be 'auto' primary/secondary because I can connect to either one to my Dante network. I had not tried it also connecting to a a computer with Mixing Station or Copilot, good to know you had no issues there. I plan on doing that test soon. DVS works fine. I am still discovering the possibilities. Dante Controller can set Leader or follower status to my devices, it can set sync to external clock etc so I am not sure what else I would need. My Dante network is a small (but powerful) one so far. I have a Midas M32R with X-Dante, the Wing and DVS. EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm using a small 8 port unmanaged switch that everything attaches to. Sub millisecond latency between X-Dante and Wing internal, DVS averages under 1.5 ms latency. I too am anxious to get my ordered Wing-Dante to see any differences. As it stands I have 64 ch's of Dante and full use of the W-Live card too which was the main goal. I guess I would say however, school is still out. I am far from a Dante expert but learning much more daily. I must say, after lusting for 64 ch's of Dante I had no idea how many that really is besides a pure number...it is a LOT. What to do with them all and all the possibilities. Much to learn yet, enjoying that as part of the package as well.
Roblof

Post by Roblof »

The official wing-dante option card can work in switch mode or redundancy mode.

The internal module has an additional 3rd option of separate dante and wing remote control networks that can be selected in dante controller.

So moving the wing-dante brooklyn card to the internal slot does not only seem to work - It is working, but the 3rd mode will lead to one non-functional ethernet port on the wing when activated.

Using other oem’s brooklyn cards may work, but there are many parameters that an oem can configure that a normal user can’t see/access that can cause issues - E.g clock settings and ethernet options etc must be done right, also the configuration of the audio i/o like I2S I8S I16S, active edges, etc... All bits and pieces must be done right for 100% operation.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Roblof Thanks Robert, great info, so that third option will be added in the Wing firmware or card firmware? I noted this am in Dante updater, while looking at manufacturers firmware files, there are 2 different Wing firmware files already there which you can download, can you choose which one to use on your own card?... that would be pretty cool if so (with the Behringer Wing card). Would mean you could freely switch between internal and external if you wished.

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”