Low channel volume when routing to Pro Tools via USB

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
lnefzger

Low channel volume when routing to Pro Tools via USB

Post by lnefzger »

I notice that the input volumes set via the gain control on the X32 do not correspond the levels as seen by Pro Tools. For example if I set an input level (via the gain trim) to peak at nearly clipping (0 dBFS) on the X32 Pro Tools will indicate that it is receiving a -18dB signal (roughly). Is this normal? I tested on two different X32 Compacts with the same result. One of the consoles has an xLive card. The other console has the USB card.
Is there a way to route the signal without this roughly 18dB loss?

Another puzzling thing is that when bring up the gain on the X32 the X32 meter is indicating increasing signal all the way to the top (max volume) of the input gain fader. However Pro Tools will stop indicating volume increases at about the three o'clock position on the input trim. No further volume increases are obtained when pushing beyond that 3 o'clock position.

What is going on here? A somewhat deep dive into the internet did not reveal any answers. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
lnefzger

Re: Low channel volume when routing to Pro Tools via USB

Post by lnefzger »

I should mention that using a different interface (Apogee Ensemble) does not exhibit this behavior. What I see on the Apogee is what I see in Pro Tools. So I am pretty certain this is not a Pro Tools metering issue.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

There is gain and trim, 2 different things on the X32.To the best of my knowledge the USB outputs unless you have routed it differently are right after the gain but the trim control is downstream of that.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@lnefzger In addition to Kevins @KMaxwell comment, the local source for ‘card out’ taps the signal just past the preamp. Using ‘local’ has no other signal tap options you can choose. You may benefit from using the out 1-16, aux out or ultranet out menus as the source for card out. Any of those 3 menus offer additional tap points right up through post fader. Setting up any of them to use direct outs of your ch’s, say post fader, and then select that menu as the source for card out. I’m thinking you may get the levels desired once you do that. Perhaps the Apogee device uses a different default tap point. I know this will give you additional card signal strength into your daw but never checked the actual value against any other.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”