Guitar Amp+FX snippets?

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
genoqian

Guitar Amp+FX snippets?

Post by genoqian »

Hi there.

I have a 2nd guitar plugged into the HiZ inputs on an SD16 and I had these crazy dreams of creating different FX presets with the guitar amp FX at the head of the chain then triggering different combinations as snippets, like a guitar floor pedal, with midi program changes. The problem is that the insert fx are mutually exclusive and being a total noob to the X32 rack I just can't see what the best strategy is for creating this is. Is it even possible to stack multiple fx and trigger them as I want? I should add that I can sacrifice all channels and buses for this if there is a solution, I just need to hear two guitars and the output from the computer via the card.

Thanks.
pvannatto

Re: Guitar Amp+FX snippets?

Post by pvannatto »

genoqian wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:34 pm I had these crazy dreams of creating different FX presets with the guitar amp FX at the head of the chain then triggering different combinations as snippets, like a guitar floor pedal, with midi program changes.
First of all, there is only a dual (2 mono) guitar amp and a stereo guitar amp FX in the X32. So I'm not sure how you can have them in a chain like guitar pedals, since there really is only one guitar amp FX. Secondly, changing FX or FX settings cannot be triggered with midi program changes. They would have to be done via sysex OSC strings. See X32 Midi Tables).
The problem is that the insert fx are mutually exclusive and being a total noob to the X32 rack I just can't see what the best strategy is for creating this is.
If you want to daisy chain FX, you need to use the side chain mode instead of the insert mode. That requires using mixbuses. Typically mixbuses 13-16 are used to send signals from channel strips to the first 4 FX slots. The resulting wet signals from each of these FX engines are returned in the channel strips on the Aux/FX layer (to the right of the Aux In channel strips). These in turn can be sent to the next FX mixbus. For example, sending channels 1-4 to mixbus 13 (that is assigned to FX slot 1) can have it's resulting wet signal (returned to FX 1L/1R channel strip pair) sent to mixbus 14 (that is assigned to FX slot 2), etc.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
genoqian

Re: Guitar Amp+FX snippets?

Post by genoqian »

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”