KT-76 and EQP-KT

Behringer analog outboard equipment
MJKlein
Site Admin

KT-76 and EQP-KT

Post by MJKlein »

Recently I acquired 2 of each of the above titled units. Over time I will update this topic and let everyone know how they are working in my studio. But my first impression is:

The KT-76 is an excellent compressor. I am mostly familiar with the "blackface" 1176, which this emulates. The KT-76 does not color the sound as drastically as the original, but if you push it hard you can get that classic 1176 snare sound with the fast attack/release times. It would be a good unit to put on your "Spank Bus" but you have to slam it good. I found that a mix I did with the KT-76 handling the bass resulted in a very smooth bottom end that was easy to manage in Mastering. The problem with this compressor is that you want to put it on everyting! You'll end up re-recording your tracks with the compressor to free it up for other stuff. I got a pair for obvious reasons. I need to do some white noise tests and see how well matched they are and whether I need to make some adjustments. Fortunately the analog VU meter has a screw adjustment on the rear panel. Also, the VU meters have a decidedly "vintage bulb" look to the backlighting. I really like that look because it's like they've been in my studio since 1976, hehe.

For re-recording analog processing in Reaper, this video will be an eye opener. My mind was a little blown, but This Is Reaper:

The 2 EPQ-KTs have made an incredible difference in my mixes. Of course they are patterned after (but not modeled from) one of the original Pultec program EQs, of which I have extensive experience. While not as dramatic with the audio coloration, they sure do have that "Pultec sound" in abundance. I used one on a lead vocal track and it cut through the mix with a beautiful sheen. The 20kHz Cut function can reduce or even eliminate some of the annoying high end garbage from acoustic guitars and even vocals. The Q control makes it even more useful. Yes, it does the "Pultec low end boost/cut trick" too.

Again, I got 2 of them for obvious reasons and eventually I will get around to employing them for Mastering.

The next compressors on my list are the 2A-KT, so stay tuned. A friend of mine has some excellent LA2A mods and I'm going to ask him if he can do any of those on the KT version.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge

Return to “Analog Outboard Gear”