Hello! from London

Tell us about yourself.
manikm

Hello! from London

Post by manikm »

hello guys!!!

good to be here.

I have joined this forum as i want to start getting into making music. old school sounding acid house \ techno \ melodic trance.

i can DJ and have 2 x technics 1210s - with timecode vinyl - i understand that side of the music \ mixing, but i have no clue about making music.

i have a MAC - i have a Native Instruments Z2 mixer for my mixing.

-----

i have just bought a Behringer td-3 and a rd-6 - this is because i love the tb-303 and i didnt want to buy a 303 without having drums - so the 6 satisfies my need for 606 drums

i have these two bad boys, MIDI clocked synced using midi cable - with the output of both running through my Z2 mixer (line2 of each input)...I have done some basic patterns and was happy.

NOW = this is where the fun begins - i am now going to purchase a MS-1 (101) synth...and i want to start tracking with the 303 and 606, using a sequencing app, maybe re-noise (a friends recommendation)

i will now do some searching and post my questions as i dont quite understand how i will get these 3 devices into my mac for sequencing, and how they will be clock synced, daisy chained using midi, or USB into laptop...? confused.

then ive seen the XENYX X1204USB mixer - which acts as a sound card, so maybe this is the solution, so would all 3 go into that ? and the mixer would go to MAC, and would it see the 3 devices...?

you get where im coming from i hope.

i want to do live jams, messing about, and record, and i want to do some sequencing also, can i have the best of both?

thanks for listening!!!

ManikM
pmaillot

Re: Hello! from London

Post by pmaillot »

Hello and welcome here. My reply may not be fully correct, but I think if you want to have your Mac see the 3 devices separately, you'll have to get these 3 connected to your computer (midi, usb, asio...) and get a DAW application software capable of handling the input data types you give. Plenty of them available: Reaper, Logic, Cubase, Bandlab, Protools, etc.
If you connect the audio out from your 3 devices to a Xenix1204, your Mac will only see the mixed output of the 3 audios, and further edit/messing options will be limited.

-Patrick
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

I recommend that you get a USB MIDI hub so you can synchronize with the DAW or else you won't be able to add new parts that will line up with what's already been recorded. If your synth/sequencer has a USB interface that can do MIDI then that should work.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

While the RD-3 supports MIDI over USB, the TD-6 does not. The MS-1 also supports MIDI over USB. The question is "do either of the devices that support MIDI over USB also support MIDI Thru on the USB?". I can't find this in any of the documentation specifically, but I'ave had many devices that work that way, even though it isn't documented.

Try this: Connect MIDI Out from the TD-6 to MIDI-In of the RD-3. Plug the USB cable from the RD-3 into your MAC and open Audio/MIDI Setup (under Applications->Utilities). If you see both devices you are all set. Plug the MS-1 USB into your Mac and it should also appear as a MIDI device.

If you do not see the TD-6, try plugging it into the MIDI-In of the MS-1. Hopefully one or the other will support MIDI-Thru over USB.

If neither work out, we can figure out the MIDI only wiring by adding a MIDI computer interface.

Return to “Introductions”