Multitracking via USB to Ethernet adapter

M/X Air Digital Mixer Series
Jonper155

Multitracking via USB to Ethernet adapter

Post by Jonper155 »

Hi everyone! Super glad I found this page because from what I've been reading it seems to be a plethora of information! My question is, I have an xr18 and want to use to the USB connection to multitrack audio but where the unit is now is too far away from our computer. Has anyone had success extending the length of the USB cable run by using a USB to Ethernet adapter?
kmitchell

Re: Multitracking via USB to Ethernet adapter

Post by kmitchell »

Hi @Jonper155 . Welcome to the community.

Have a read here: https://behringer.world/viewtopic.php?t=498

Also, how far is "too far"? The reason I ask is because I've used active USB extender cables to go 40+ ft without a problem. This is much simpler since it's basically a 1 port USB hub on the end of a long cable.
Jonper155

Post by Jonper155 »

Thank you for the reply! I checked out that article and it looks like what I was considering is possible. But to answer your question the way the room is configured, I'd need about 100ft of extension to reach the computer as the cable has to go up the wall, through the ceiling and back down to the computer. Would you suggest using an activation usb extender or going cat5 instead?
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

For 100 ft, I'd go with the USB-Cat5 extenders. They are going to be more expensive than an active USB cable but I've never seen that long of an active cable.

Another option would be to put a recording computer close to the mixer and control it remotely from the computer on the other side of the room. This assumes, of course, that you already have the room wired for Ethernet. There used to be a really nice multitrack recorder than ran on the Raspberry Pi but due to the chip shortage, a RPi costs a small fortune these days.
Jonper155

Post by Jonper155 »

Hi everyone I wanted to come back and give thanks for the advice. I ended up buying some monoprice usb-cat5 extenders on amazon which were relatively inexpensive and so far they have been working great! This is a viable option for anyone in a similar situation like I am in. Here's the link below.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

@Jonper155 Can you re-post the link to what you are using? for some reason it didn't comes through in your last post.

Return to “M/X-Air Digital Mixers”