Flow8 to camera from main output...is XLR only way?

The new Flow8 digital console
Gre404

Flow8 to camera from main output...is XLR only way?

Post by Gre404 »

I don't have a double XLR cable (or even a single) to go into my camera which takes the stereo mini jack. I was hoping to avoid the size of that. I've been going from Mon 1 and Mon 2 to the camera. I'd like to send the camera exactly what the main output is. This is being used, right now, for practice sessions. Normally, it will be used for live playing. I never want a special monitor mix as I need to hear what's going to the front of the house. With the current setup, if I need to change a level (which I need to do often) than I have to go to Mon 1 and Mon 2 and get them just like what I have in main output. I'd appreciate knowing if there's a better way to do this than the way I'm doing it now. Thanks.
Gre404

Re: Flow8 to camera from main output...is XLR only way?

Post by Gre404 »

BTW my camera does have auto level so if there's no sound from the instruments etc thern you can hear it. It's not a big problem but I'd like the easiest way in showing the main output if possible. Thanks
NZdave

Post by NZdave »

Greetings.
Have you tried using your head phone socket?
And if that level is too high for your camera you could use a reduction level Direct Box of some kind.
therentabrain

Post by therentabrain »

Agree, you should be able to use a 1/4" -> 1/8" stereo headphone adapter and then a regular stereo 1/8" cord with the headphone output.

If you need to listen via headphones, perhaps your camera has a headphone jack you can listen through. You could also use a headphone splitter, as long as the connection is solid there should be negligible signal loss
Gre404

Post by Gre404 »

Appreciate the relies. I definitely need some help. Unfortunately the camera (Sony AS200) has no headphone jack. Last night I hoped for the best in a practice session and when I looked at it later saw video with only a big buzz. I was going through "monitor out". Those settings are stumping me I guess. I listen to the session, coming from the mixer,into my headphones. I'll try that and at least get something. Hopefully the level I listen to won't be too much for the camera. Thanks.
audibell

Post by audibell »

Hi there, you're experiencing some difficulties with gain and routing? The big buzz seems like a bad cable or connection.

Do you have the iOS Flow-8 app?

Using adapter plugs is not best, they are wobbly and can go intermittent and crackly - best to obtain a single connection from the mixer to the
camera.

The "insert" cable shown (about $20) carries Mon 1 down the Left side 1/4" tip-shield and Mon 2 on the right side 1/4" tip-shield. They connect together inside the 1/8" tip-ring-shield plug, Left to tip and shield and the Right to ring and shield. They don't combine or fight each other, they bring the Left and Right sides into the camera's stereo input jack.

Are you sure your camera is expecting a stereo line level signal or a mono mic level signal?
The camera's Automatic Gain Control (AGC) is actually best left OFF, rather than boosting the input when it feels like there's not enough happening.

If you have a Voice on ch1 and a KBD on ch2, set them in the Main the way you like. Press the cogwheel (upper left) then press Routing and change Phones from Main to MON 1/2. Tap Monitor 1/2 to POST (fader) so what happens in the Main also happens in the Mons. X to dismiss.

Tap the green MON-1 tab on the top line and waggle the faders for ch1 and ch2 to ensure they work. The Monitor-1 fader at far right is the Master. Same for MON-2.
If you pan ch-1 Voice balance fader (tap the channel icon) to -0.4 and ch-2 KBD balance fader to +0.4, your camera and you will hear a stereo-ised (panned mono) image.

Go back to MAIN (white tab) and waggle the faders for ch1 and ch2. Because your hdphones are monitoring MON 1/2, you are always hearing the changes in levels going to the camera. The audience, without hdphones, will hear the same thing out of the speakers - Main/XLRs.

During performance, whatever changes you make to each channel in the Main tab will be mirrored in the MON busses going to the camera. If the camera indicates the audio has too much level coming in, go to each green MON tab & pull down the master fader for each Mon by 3 or 6 dB.

Good luck with this - WalterT

Gre404

Post by Gre404 »

Sorry just seeing this as I'm about to post a bit more urgent problem I'm having with the Flow 8. Thanks a lot for your fine explanation. Going from the headphone out right now and working, at least in terms of getting the sound to the camera. I'll be studying the use of monitor out. Right now having a much bigger problem with the general output that I'm going to make a new post about. Thanks!

Return to “Flow8”