Problems installing X32Automate/Reaper

Support forum for the AutoMate family of console automation specifically designed for Behringer/Midas consoles by Patrick Gilles-Maillot.

This forum is also for support with Reaper and the X-Live expansion card with respect to AutoMate.

https://x32ram.com
Forum rules
For generic X-Live support, please go to the appropriate forum here:
viewforum.php?f=47
Deffe

Problems installing X32Automate/Reaper

Post by Deffe »

I am building up a new audio pc using windows 11. I ordered X32Automate yesterday and installed it as described in the documentation (OSC driver installation in Reaper, setting IP address in X32Automate ini file. Installed newest Reaper / SWS version, my X32 Producer uses the last firmware version.

Perhaps I have misunderstood the meaning of the X32Automate but I thought it is like X32Reaper (which I used before) with full automation capabilities for mixing on the x32 added?

For testing purpose I created a new Reaper project with 32 tracks, started X32Automate (which starts in "connected/running" mode automatically so connection to my X32 producer seems to be ok) and Reaper with the test project mentioned.

I thought, that there should be a similar connection between Reaper and X32, so that a fader movement in Reaper should be reflected on the X32 console and vice versa?! (Please correct me if I am wron) But nothing happens at all - double checked the OSC settings in Reaper to match Port / IP for X32Automate.

So I installed X32Reaper and voila - connection is established and changes in Reaper are reflected on X32 console ... but only for channels 1 to 16 and busses 1 to 16, channels 17 to 32 are not "connected"?! (In the OSC file I set amont of tracks to 64)

The only "unusual" thing is the network configuration: I have 1 ehternet card and wifi installed on my pc. Wifi conection is used for internet (dhcp configured) and the x32 is connected via ethernet. For this I set "10.0.0.10" as fixed IP on X32 and "10.0.0.1" as fixed address on the PC. Over dhsp / wlan the pc get's the address "192.168.236.191" - and THIS address is set in Reaper in OSC configuration (and can NOT be changed in reaper)

I hope that someone has any idea what's goig wrong here and how to fix it ...

Greetings and thanks
Deffe
pvannatto

Re: Problems installing X32Automate/Reaper

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @Deffe, welcome to our forum. You have come to the right place for X32Automate, since we have 2 experts here @pmaillot and @MJKlein. They should be able to get you up and running in no time.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Deffe wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:07 am I am building up a new audio pc using windows 11. I ordered X32Automate yesterday and installed it as described in the documentation (OSC driver installation in Reaper, setting IP address in X32Automate ini file. Installed newest Reaper / SWS version, my X32 Producer uses the last firmware version.

Perhaps I have misunderstood the meaning of the X32Automate but I thought it is like X32Reaper (which I used before) with full automation capabilities for mixing on the x32 added?

For testing purpose I created a new Reaper project with 32 tracks, started X32Automate (which starts in "connected/running" mode automatically so connection to my X32 producer seems to be ok) and Reaper with the test project mentioned.

I thought, that there should be a similar connection between Reaper and X32, so that a fader movement in Reaper should be reflected on the X32 console and vice versa?! (Please correct me if I am wrong) But nothing happens at all - double checked the OSC settings in Reaper to match Port / IP for X32Automate.
X32ReaperAutoMate and X32Reaper are indeed working differently.
  • X32Reaper enables using the X32 as an (expensive) surface control, so changes made to X32faders (and other controls) are reflected in REAPER, and vice-versa. Automation and audio rendering (if any) are performed within REAPER, using your PC.
  • X32ReaperAutoMate performs automation (for *all* X32 parameters) and audio rendering using the X32, using the X32 faders and other controls. REAPER is only used as a 'tape recorder' and basically the REAPER routing matrix for channels out to the X32 should be a simple diagonal, with REAPER faders to 0dB, and no changing to them. While playing back audio from REAPER, previous automation recorded via X32REaperAutoMate with the X32 faders (and other controls) can be edited (delete, change, additions) until you get your perfect mix. REAPER faders (and other controls) will not change and audio from REAPER has no other interest than providing separate audio stems to the X32 inputs using USB/ASIO, or Dante.
So I installed X32Reaper and voila - connection is established and changes in Reaper are reflected on X32 console ... but only for channels 1 to 16 and busses 1 to 16, channels 17 to 32 are not "connected"?! (In the OSC file I set amount of tracks to 64)
You also need to set the amount of channels in the .ini file for X32Reaper, or using the X32 In:, and X32 to: variables in the application GUI. The default .ini file has bank control set and a bank size of 16. Look into these parameters to set what you're after, either using 32 channels, and the X32 banks, or only using the X32 first layer of 16 tracks and using 'virtual' banks to allow the X32 to control way above 16 channels.
The only "unusual" thing is the network configuration: I have 1 ehternet card and wifi installed on my pc. Wifi conection is used for internet (dhcp configured) and the x32 is connected via ethernet. For this I set "10.0.0.10" as fixed IP on X32 and "10.0.0.1" as fixed address on the PC. Over dhsp / wlan the pc get's the address "192.168.236.191" - and THIS address is set in Reaper in OSC configuration (and can NOT be changed in reaper)

I hope that someone has any idea what's goig wrong here and how to fix it ...

Greetings and thanks
Deffe
If your lan configuration works with X32Reaper, it will work with no issue with X32ReaperAutoMate.

Hope this helps,
-Patrick
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

One is for controlling the DAW with the console. The other is for automating the console control of the audio from the DAW. AutoMate is more like having an SSL/Neve/API console in front of a multi-track recorder. Sure you can still use all the plugins you want, but you have all the dynamics, EQ and FX of the console, with complete automation control over the mix.
Deffe wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:07 am I thought, that there should be a similar connection between Reaper and X32, so that a fader movement in Reaper should be reflected on the X32 console and vice versa?! (Please correct me if I am wron) But nothing happens at all - double checked the OSC settings in Reaper to match Port / IP for X32Automate.
If you move a fader on the console and it move a fader in the DAW, that is double processing unless you are not using the console for the audio.

X32Reaper uses the console as a controller only. AutoMate allows you to use the console for mixing without touching the DAW faders.

I mixed a famous song with it, and no plugins:
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
Deffe

Post by Deffe »

Thanks both for your replies!

I am still confused, but on a higher level ;)

At first: I solved my problem with X32Reaper (only the first 16 channels working): the flag "channel bank select" was set ?! I disabled it and all 32 channels are working fine! :)

2nd: My workflow is a bit "in between": due recording I use EVERYTHING I can and what is nearest ;) (see photo of my setup - the monitor is a touch screen, X-Touch used for transport aso). Using X32Reaper I can save my last settings with the project and after loading a project the X32 is set automatically ;)

The mixdown I make primary with the X32 producer using the internal effects and eq. For some tracks I've added FX in reaper, but not much and stored it in reaper on a separat stereo track. In X32Automate reaper seems only to be the "multitrack recoder" and X32Automate manages the mix on the X32, the result is stored on usb stick in X32 , right ?!

What I not understand: How can I see / control what I changed on the mix between f.e. 2 time-stamps and edit it? A video of a simple project (f.e. guitar and vocal) which shows how to mix down in general and edit the changes made (f.e. more/less effect on vocals aso) and then make the final recording?

Greetings
Deffe
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Deffe wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:31 pm In X32Automate reaper seems only to be the "multitrack recoder" and X32Automate manages the mix on the X32, the result is stored on usb stick in X32 , right ?!
No, an infinite number of mixes are stored on the computer as files. Use the Save and Load buttons for saving and instantly recalling mixes.
Deffe wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:31 pm What I not understand: How can I see / control what I changed on the mix between f.e. 2 time-stamps and edit it? A video of a simple project (f.e. guitar and vocal) which shows how to mix down in general and edit the changes made (f.e. more/less effect on vocals aso) and then make the final recording?
Whatever you do on the console with the automation on and the Write mode enabled will be recorded. There is no provision to "see" those moves in the software. You observe what is going on with the console during playback and visually see the faders moving and hear the results (like the YouTube video of the mix I did). You can edit the mix by re-writing it using the various editing functions.

In the UI there are 2 time fields. You move the Reaper cursor to the beginning of the section where you want to edit and press the Start button. That loads the timecode into that field. Do the same for the end of the time section. Then, if you use Channel Erase, Copy/Paste Delete, etc., it will affect only that section of the automation.

Final mixes are recorded in real time to a stereo Reaper track. After recording, that track is rendered to a file. With AutoMate, the Reaper Master Bus is not used and you monitor off of the Control Room section of the console.
Deffe wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:31 pm The mixdown I make primary with the X32 producer using the internal effects and eq. For some tracks I've added FX in reaper, but not much and stored it in reaper on a separat stereo track.
Your workflow is a perfect application for X32ReaperAutoMate.

You'll appreciate how well it works when a client asks for you for a revision. You load the mix, and then make the edits to the mix. Save as a new file. Endless possibilities!
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge

Return to “AutoMate Support”