Did I fry my UMC404HD

Dahmort

Did I fry my UMC404HD

Post by Dahmort »

I think I may have fried my Behringer euphoria UMC 404 HD! I tried connecting it to my iPhone last night with a lightning to USB cable and my phone gave an error message that said “this interface cannot be used because it requires too much power. “

So I unplugged it, but then today when I tried several times to use the interface on my Mac computer it no longer works and it is not recognized by either of my Mac computers. I have changed the USB cable three times, restarted the computer two or three times, unplugged the interface several times, tried 3 different usb cables & usb inputs but nothing seems to work.

Prior to yesterday it worked all the time with no problems on both of my Mac computers.

When I plug in the USB cable some of the lights stay lit on the front and on channels 1 & 2 the “clip” lights stay on all the time, even though no instruments or mics are plugged into the interface.

No matter what I do I can’t get my computer to recognize it anymore.

So is it possible that I fried the interface?

Thank you for any insights!
kmitchell

Re: Did I fry my UMC404HD

Post by kmitchell »

Hi @Dahmort Welcome to the forums. Plugging the interface into your phone did not cause the problem but, yes, it sounds like your interface has gone bad. Various LEDs being always on is a common failure mode. Is the unit still under warranty? If so, I'd open a RMA request with Behringer.

Now, for the error you got on your phone. This is your phone telling you that the interface wants more than 500mA of USB power, which the lightning port cannot provide. Apple has two versions of the lightning to USB adapter with one having a lightning power port and the other not. You need the one with the extra power input to power the phone, adapter and 404HD, all at the same time. You could also use an externally powered USB hub with the adapter without the power input, but I don't recommend that.
Dahmort

Re: Did I fry my UMC404HD

Post by Dahmort »

Thank you for your help!

I bought the interface used a couple years ago so there's no kind of warranty. I guess it's dead, unless there's some way to reset it?

As for the cable, I did use one of the lightning/USB cables w/ the power input so I'm not sure why it didn't work. As far as I could tell, the last time my 404HD worked was before I tried to plug it into the iPhone. It's very strange and it bums me out because the 404 costs $179 new and not much less used.

Thank you again for your help and insights!

Matt

Return to “Audio Interfaces”