Need BIG help for routing 32 trk studio + IEM's

One4n5

Need BIG help for routing 32 trk studio + IEM's

Post by One4n5 »

Hello to all forum folks!
Our band is currently dead in the water in our qwest to convert our jam room into a recording studio.

Gear used:
Dell laptop > Windows 10 Pro
X32 w/ X-Live card installed
Reaper receiving feed from USB X-Live

All band members currently have IEM's and can adjust their own mixes via phone apps using the Ultranet router. So far this works great.

So our objective is to record our full band live with an active FOH. Then for overdubs, the FOH goes mute & punch-ins can take place, just like in a pro studio.

The current roadblock is the routing for the IEM's. Specific tracks like vocals cues, clicks, etc should go to IEM's only. Everything else goes to FOH & IEM's and can be muted/unmuted at will to make up for missing players.

I've been down MANY rabbit holes and I still dont know if this is a X32 routing setting, a Reaper routing setting... or both.

Also, we want other PC audio (such as youtube/Spotify)coming out of the 1/8" PC headphone jack>sterio y-cord>to Aux 5&6 input...and controlled by Aux 5&6 fader.

If you could offer an opinion or direct me to a solution I would GREATLY appreciate it!!

Question: Is it possible to email scene settings and load those into the X32? Maybe someone out there has a simular setup already working?

Thank you for your time.
pvannatto

Re: Need BIG help for routing 32 trk studio + IEM's

Post by pvannatto »

One4n5 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:36 pm The current roadblock is the routing for the IEM's. Specific tracks like vocals cues, clicks, etc should go to IEM's only. Everything else goes to FOH & IEM's and can be muted/unmuted at will to make up for missing players.
Are you using the Ultranet port on the back of the X32 or from a stagebox (eg. S16, S32, SD16, etc.)? If it is the former (back of X32), the only way to get inputs from a PC to Ultranet out, is to first assign the desired PC inputs (from Card) to a channel strip, unselect the Main LR and assign the DirChan to the Ultranet output.

If it is the latter (Ultranet on a stagebox), you can use the User In screen to a mixture of the live inputs and Card inputs to make up blocks of 8 that can be assigned to the AES50 outputs 33-48 (which is automatically sent to the stagebox Ultranet port).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
One4n5

Post by One4n5 »

Thanks Paul for the response.
No Ultranet being used at all. Looks like I mis-spoke above about the router being used on the Ultranet...not true, it's on the ethernet port. Obviously I'm clueless about Ultranet & associated gear. I thought that was only for digital snakes. But if that's the easiest/fastest way only way to get the track into IEM's for overdubs then so be it.
Do u have any suggestions on additional gear I need? Would a P16 allow me to overdub or monitor 16 tracks at a time?

Back to the drawing board!
Thanks again,
Lee
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

One4n5 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:43 pm Looks like I mis-spoke above about the router being used on the Ultranet...not true, it's on the ethernet port.
Then can I assume you are probably using mixbuses outputted to the physical XLR outputs that connected to your IEM's? If that is the case, the
One4n5 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:36 pm Specific tracks like vocals cues, clicks, etc should go to IEM's only
should have their respective channel strip Main LR disabled (go to the channel's Main screen and disable the LR).
One4n5 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:43 pm I thought that was only for digital snakes.
The Ultranet is a single direction digital protocol that sends 16 channels to P16's and other Ultranet devices (such as the Turbosound iQ series of speakers).
One4n5 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:43 pm Do u have any suggestions on additional gear I need? Would a P16 allow me to overdub or monitor 16 tracks at a time?
P16's can be used for IEM's and overdub tracks can be assigned to the Ultranet output (which feeds the P16's). But a much better way is to use the newer Midas personal mixers called DP48, which uses the AES50 protocol (48 bidirectional channels) that also connects the console to stageboxes. Because the DP48 provides 2 separate mixes (A and B), it is actually less expensive than 2 P16's and provides all 48 channels that can be assigned to the 12 groups. Added to that, it has built-in basic EQ, compression, reverb and ambient mic. The other advantage is that by using the Routing, User In screen, you can directly assign inputs from the computer to the AES50, bypassing the need to use channel strips.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
One4n5

Post by One4n5 »

pvannatto wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:12 pm Then can I assume you are probably using mixbuses outputted to the physical XLR outputs that connected to your IEM's?
Yes sir. And if I
can bypass the need to use channel strips
that's a huge plus. Never liked the idea of using up more channel strips.

I'll be looking into the AES50, DP48 & the P16. Thanks a lot for the details.
Sure wish I knew someone who already had this rig up & running.

Return to “Tips and Techniques”