Inability to make small, accurate adjustments live play

The new Flow8 digital console
Gre404

Inability to make small, accurate adjustments live play

Post by Gre404 »

I'm thinking I'm just about to have to give up on the Flow 8 because I can't quickly and accurately make small adjustments during live play. I had hoped to use the app with my Android phone mounted on a mic stand near me instead of having to turn around and adjust the mixer. Usually I just need to bump a volume level a little. Instead I overshoot with the app's sliders. If I go to the bigger image of gain etc. it overshoots by even greater amounts. It looks bad to see me fiddling with this on stage. If there was a simple button to click to just move the level up one or down one it would solve this problem but I haven't seen that feature. If I have to turn around to adjust levels I might as well just go back to a portable analog mixer.
Gre404

Re: Inability to make small, accurate adjustments live play

Post by Gre404 »

I guess that may mean that is the case. I just saw a video of me at the last gig and I was fiddling with my phone, trying to bump various volumes, way too long. Unless, there's a specific mode for easy, incremental changes during live play,which I don't know about, I don't think I have much more hope with this thing.
ozstar

Post by ozstar »

I'm still trying to get mine to connect to my DAW but have you looked at the footswitch option?
Maybe this can be set to up/ down vols a little etc?
Just an idea.
or.. maybe using the a small bluetooth KB and use the shortcuts.
Just throwing ideas out there.
Gre404

Post by Gre404 »

ozstar wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:57 am a small bluetooth KB
Not sure what you mean with kb? I can free my hands for a a second or two but not feet when playing. If there was a tiny 4 channel bluetooth footswitch maybe I'd be able to use that. Is there one? Thanks
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

KB = keyboard.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
therentabrain

Post by therentabrain »

I am Queen of Workarounds! Here are some ideas:

Preset your gain lower and use the Volume slider; with lower gain the volume slider might be less dramatic.

If you have unused inputs, buses, or monitors, can you create 2 signal paths, one for the louder setting and one for the quieter, and just switch between those by muting one or the other?

Get ahold of an inexpensive/used tablet with a larger screen. The bigger the screen, the more precise the movements.

If you never use the MUTE buttons, you can remove them as an option somewhere. That gives you more slider room.

Use a tablet pen? I haven't tried, but you could maybe have more precise control if you have some kind of stylus.

On my phone, I find that the more burdened/busy the phone is, the slower the app responds, and the less precise my adjustments are. So maybe streamlining your phone or upgrading to a faster device might help.

There is a preference setting that changes the way the mixer behaves, I think, with rotary vs up/down motion? I'm not sure what it is and I'm trying to remember, but maybe you can try switching that.

Return to “Flow8”