Problem with UMC404HD output

PDXMSM

Problem with UMC404HD output

Post by PDXMSM »

Hi all,

Please forgive me if this post has been answered elsewhere. I’m new here and saw that it was a known issue with this thing, but didn’t see a solution yet. I would LOVE any advice.

I just got the UMC404HD and am running it into an iPad Pro that is primarily running Cubasis 3. I’m running a separately powered mic into channel 1 with line-level selected. The monitor works just fine, and the signal is registering just fine and is just very slightly clipping so I figure I have the gain all set. It sounds great in the monitor.

The problem is when I try to actually record with it. The signal that it’s outputting to the iPad is SUPER low. What’s weird is that when I started with it, it was working just fine. The waveform looked a little goofy compared to what I was used to, but it sounded pretty sweet (the preamps in it actually sound great… if you can hear them). After about 10 minutes, the signal just tanked down. I think it’s maxing out at something like -48 db.

Solutions I’ve tried:
Using a different cable (didn’t do anything)
Using a different mic (didn’t do anything)
Fiddling with phantom power (didn’t do anything)
Making sure I didn’t have “Pad” depressed
Changing between line and mic level (No change)
Trying a different DAW (e.g., garageband). Didn’t do anything
Turning my iPad off and on again x2. Didn’t do anything
Just for grins and giggles, I re-plugged in my 15 year old M-Audio 2-channel using the same gear (mic, cable, etc.) and it gave a reasonably hot signal.

Anything I missed here? The one thing I saw is that the UMC can be pretty sensitive to the volume the iPad itself is set at, so I cranked that. No change. The ONLY thing that I can think of that I did different right before it tanked was try to sidechain Youlean using Audiobus, but afterwards I deleted both Youlean and Audiobus from the system and it didn’t bring it back up. I would LOVE to get to use this unit, but right now I’m pretty bummed.

Thanks so much in advance.

Return to “Audio Interfaces”