Behringer X-Air 16 USB Player with Midi

M/X Air Digital Mixer Series
Martin_A

Behringer X-Air 16 USB Player with Midi

Post by Martin_A »

Hello, I have the Behringer xr16 and the FCB1010. I have playbacks on a USB stick in the XR16 digital mixer.
Is it possible that I can play the audio data with the FCB1010 footswitch (via MIDI)?

Thanks for help.
pvannatto

Re: Behringer X-Air 16 USB Player with Midi

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @Martin_A, welcome to our forum. Unfortunately the USB player is controlled by OSC commands only. The only way to control it via MIDI is with a MIDI controller that can send user specified SYSEX strings, which the FCB1010 cannot do.

For example, to start the play of the USB player, the OSC command is
/-stat/tape/state 2
which translate to a MIDI sysex string as
F0 00 20 32 32 2F 2D 73 74 61 74 2F 74 61 70 65 2F 73 74 61 74 65 20 32 F7
(using SysexOscGen app).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Hi @Martin_A If you don't mind inserting a low-end laptop or small computer like a Raspberry Pi into your setup, a translation could easily be done by taking in a MIDI message and sending out an OSC message to the XR16. Since the FCB1010 only has DIN style MIDI connections, you'd also need a USB MIDI adapter.

What DAW do you use? I've done something similar with Reaper already so I could probably help you get this working.
Martin_A

Post by Martin_A »

Thanks for the support. I solve it with a Raspberry. I didn't know I could use OSC/SYSEX commands. But you have helped me a lot. I have now found a PDF with all the OSC commands for the XR on the Internet.

Thanks
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Glad to hear you got it working. Yes, a Raspberry Pi can be a very useful addition to a show setup. I recently started playing with a graphical programming tool called Node-RED. It's built on Node.js and has a very active development community. It reminds me of Pd (Pure Data) but is much more powerful and modern. It runs great on a headless Pi since it's browser-based. I built a MIDI-to-OSC bridge in less than 30 minutes.

You can check it out here: https://nodered.org/

Return to “M/X-Air Digital Mixers”