New user - observations and a few questions

The new Flow8 digital console
EddieJames1960

New user - observations and a few questions

Post by EddieJames1960 »

Newbie here - thanks for the add.
A little background. I'm currently a solo singer with tracks although I've been in bands and other outfits since 1977 and had a little success as a lyricist and recording artist.
I'm normally an analog kinda guy and being a bit advanced in years I was more than a little reluctant to switch to digital. I have a pair of JBL Eon one MkII arrays and the JBL app is very poor for making adjustments to those so that kinda coloured my opinion of controlling things via phones and tablets.
I wanted to be able to do a separate in ear monitor mix so that I don't have to risk what's left of my hearing standing trying to hear myself through a loud PA. So I asked fellow musicians what they were using and 80% recommended the Flow 8 so I found a virtually new one on face book marketplace and picked it up on my way to a gig on Saturday night.
I've had a play around with it last evening and managed by trial and error and watching a few YT vids to get it working pretty much as I want through a pair of desktop monitors - the next test will be to pair it up to my JBL arrays and reset the EQ to suit.

So far so good - I like the mixer but I have a few points that are a little disappointing.
Firstly (and I know just about EVERYONE here will agree) the fact that the power is input through that micro-usb socket is pretty bad - those connections are dodgy even at the best of times and I will be taking action to reinforce the input and minimise any possible strain on it whilst in use. The fact that the mixer can be run from a decent power bank though is a plus as my JBLs are also capable of being run on internal batteries so outdoor gigs are easy!
Am I missing something here but why is there no power button???

My other and possibly biggest disappointment is with the choice of FX for vocals.
I currently use two mics - a hand held AKG Dynamic for general pop and ballads and a Shure "Elvis" style mic for RocknRoll.
I use a TC Helicon mic mechanic pedal through the FX loop on my old desk to add reverbs to both mic channels and slap back echo on the fly for RnR songs but of course I can't do that on the Flow 8 desk as there's no external FX loop.
Of course I can use the onboard offerings but I'm really struggling to find a reverb in FX1 that even gets close to the quality of the TC Helicon pedal.
Also I can add a bit of additional echo in FX2 for the RNR stuff but once I return to songs where I just require reverb alone I have to go into the FX2 button and dial the echo level down - If I hit mute I lose the verb on FX1 as well as the echo on FX2.
Of course you guys might be able to tell me if I'm missing the obvious here - any advice is welcome!

Finally Can I ask if anyone can tell me what's the minimum spec for an android tablet or phone to run the app without issue an will an Amazon Fire work with the software?

Many thanks in advance!
therentabrain

Re: New user - observations and a few questions

Post by therentabrain »

There aren't FX sends/returns but there are multiple ways to get a signal out and back in, and to make a separate mix for monitor than from the mains, so you can sort of do an FX send/return thing with that if it's really necessary :)

But I like the onboard stuff pretty well. I messed with mine until I got something I liked a bunch.

Sorry I can't help with the other stuff. I use the app on a 2016 iphone and it runs fine, so presumably you don't need the top newest device.

Return to “Flow8”