Problem with Behringer monitor 2usb

AlexKn

Problem with Behringer monitor 2usb

Post by AlexKn »

Hello guys, I have an issue with the aforementioned monitor 2usb. I come from a closed recording studio and brought along my UAD Apollo 16 mk2, whose monitor outputs are connected to the monitor controller inputs, which then go to the speakers (without being connected via USB because I only use it as a switch between various headphone and monitor setups). Unfortunately, I have to keep the output/attenuator of the Apollo 16 at a very low volume because it seems like the monitor 2 amplifies the signal. In the midst of all this, I'm trying to calibrate the listening levels to an appropriate volume but I don't even understand what the unity gain of monitor 2 might be, in order to find a balance. Can someone help me? I would be very grateful! Thank you all in advance :)
pvannatto

Re: Problem with Behringer monitor 2usb

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @AlexKn, welcome to our forum. Check the input sensitivity button on the back. Make sure it is not pressed (+4K).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
AlexKn

Post by AlexKn »

Hello and thank you for your response. Yes, I tried to activate the -10dBV, but I saw in the manual that it only affects input 2 of the monitor controller. So, I presume I need to connect my Monitor Out from the Apollo 16 to input 2 of the monitor controller?

The section in the manual states: "+4 dBu / -10 dBV button allows you to change the level sensitivity of the INPUT 2 group of XLR jacks. The +4 dBu setting matches the line-level standard for pro audio gear, while the -10 dBV setting matches the sensitivity standard for consumer audio (e.g., CD/DVD players). By properly matching the input sensitivity, you can more easily match levels between the two groups of stereo inputs, and therefore avoid large volume differences at the outputs." Is this correct?
AlexKn

Post by AlexKn »

I tried to set it up as follows:
"Apollo 16" MON Output -> "Monitor 2usb" Input 2

I noticed that by setting the flow this way, the switch "+4 dBu / -10 dBV" on the "Behringer Monitor 2" when not pressed (which according to the manual is on -10dBV when pressed) attenuates the volume or at least doesn't amplify it that way.

It seems I've found a solution this way. At least now I can use the big knob of the Monitor 2usb more freely without the speakers blasting at 1000 when the knob is only at 1/5.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you to understand if everything might be correct according to your perspective.
Thanks again for the help and the welcome :)
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

AlexKn wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:01 am So, I presume I need to connect my Monitor Out from the Apollo 16 to input 2 of the monitor controller?
I honestly haven't used this model. But it would make sense to connect to inputs that you can control the input sensitivity.
AlexKn wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:01 am The +4 dBu setting matches the line-level standard for pro audio gear, while the -10 dBV setting matches the sensitivity standard for consumer audio (e.g., CD/DVD players)
This is correct. The +4 db setting is expecting a hotter input signal (than the -10 db). So if you are experience too hot of a signal, the +4db should help.
AlexKn wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:02 am It seems I've found a solution this way.
Good to hear.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator

Return to “Audio Interfaces”