UMC404HD and a patchbay

MajorD

UMC404HD and a patchbay

Post by MajorD »

Hi everyone

New poster so be gentle!!

I have a 404HD which I've connected the ins to a Behringer patchbay and things work as they should.
I decided to connect the inserts via trs cables to the patchbay so to save me disturbing the interface to connect outboard gear. The problem is I'm now getting no sound from any of the inputs until I unplug the inserts from the back of the interface. I have tried selecting the normal etc switches but nothing works.
I hope that makes sense and can anyone help?
Thanks
kmitchell

Re: UMC404HD and a patchbay

Post by kmitchell »

Hi @MajorD Welcome to the forums. The problem you are having is the insert cables are opening up the signal path but not providing a signal back on the return side. With a TRS cable plugged in, the signal is sent on the Tip and returned on the Ring of the cable.

Have a look at this diagram and see if it helps: https://github.com/mcnster/umc-404hd-si ... c404hd.pdf
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Thinking about this a bit more, you could make a jump plug that has Tip and Ring connected with a jumper wire and then use that plug to complete the path in the patchbay. However, I'm not sure what that might do to the signal integrity of the inputs. You may want to try it directly on the 404HD first.
MajorD

Post by MajorD »

Thanks for that
I came up with the solution not long after posting this and it is how you described it.

Thanks again

Return to “Audio Interfaces”